Questions about The Vermonter

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I rode the Vermonter from Essex Jct to New York Penn Station in 1999. It was Amfleet cars with Business class as part of Ambuffet car. Business Class was the nice 2/1 seating with comfortable faux leather chairs and was well worth the additional cost. The scenery is great. The train is not very fast, but it is a great way to see rural Vermont. I had previously traveled through that area on the Montrealer when it ran from Washington to Montreal, but it was overnight so I only got to see Vermont in the early morning hours from the Sleeping Car, so it was nice to see the area by day. The other passengers riding the Vermonter were very friendly. I had traveled from New York to Rutland and then an excursion train from Rutland to Burlington. I would like to make the trip again once they extend the Ethan Allen to Burlington after the upgrade of the tracks are finished in the next couple of years.

I believe it has a quiet car (at least it does according to the timetable), so if you're traveling alone, that might be where you want to be.

Business Class was the nice 2/1 seating with comfortable faux leather chairs and was well worth the additional cost. The scenery is great. The train is not very fast, but it is a great way to see rural Vermont.
Ditto.

If you're looking to be more comfortable, this is one of the few trains where BC actually delivers on that. I'll add that when you recline in these chairs, a leg support unfolds, kind of like a La-Z-Boy recliner at home.

I believe it has a quiet car (at least it does according to the timetable), so if you're traveling alone, that might be where you want to be.
I don't think the Vermonter usually has more than four cars. Is the quiet car and business class one in the same?
No. Business and cafe car are combined. Four coaches + split cafe/business class car if I'm not mistaken.

And huh. Timestable does say it has a quiet car, but if you try to buy tickets it doesn't list it as an amenity.

I don't think the Vermonter usually has more than four cars. Is the quiet car and business class one in the same?
No. Business and cafe car are combined. Four coaches + split cafe/business class car if I'm not mistaken.

And huh. Timestable does say it has a quiet car, but if you try to buy tickets it doesn't list it as an amenity.
Yes, I looked at the Time table and it does show a quiet car. Maybe that's on the Adirondac.

You can't buy a specific for the quiet car (on any train). You buy a coach ticket, and sit anywhere - including the quiet car. Seating is first come/first served.
That's true, and it can be a problem on the NEC going north out of Washington. Ever since they put the quiet car and business class at the rear of the train, the Quiet Car fills up in Washington, and forget about finding a seat there when you board at BWI, Baltimore, or Wilmington. I would guess some seats might open up in Philly.

Last edited by a moderator:
There's overhead racks and there should be racks at one end of the car with room for luggage.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back