Sleeper car VS Coach Car

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

mercedeslove

Lead Service Attendant
So those of you who traveled in coach know that you have a place to put your luggage downstairs when you opt out of checking it in. This way if you want to get something out of your case during the trip you can.

Does the sleeper car have this same option? I have a roomette, but I am still not sure if I wanna bring my bag with me up stairs to my room.

So those of you who traveled in coach know that you have a place to put your luggage downstairs when you opt out of checking it in. This way if you want to get something out of your case during the trip you can.
Does the sleeper car have this same option? I have a roomette, but I am still not sure if I wanna bring my bag with me up stairs to my room.
Yup on the lower level of the sleeping car there is a luggage rack where u can leave your things. So if you need something out of the bag you can go get it at anytime.

Yup on the lower level of the sleeping car there is a luggage rack where u can leave your things. So if you need something out of the bag you can go get it at anytime.

awesome. Thanks. It's not that the bag is heavy it's just bulky and a pain to bring upstairs. Even at home.

I've been studying up on this, when we go on our trip, all of our luggage will be carry on, and we will have a bedroom.

When you have a roomette, you do have some room for luggage. There is also an area downstairs right inside the sleeper door for luggage storage.

If you are traveling alone, you could leave your carry on in the upper bunk. You are allowed 2 carry on no bigger than 28" x 22" x 14"* (except on surfliners, *Carry-on baggage is limited to 11" on Pacific Surfliner trains. Checked baggage is not available on all trains or in all stations. )

Many people choose to bring a small bag up to their roomette/bedroom rather than all of their stuff.

Hope this helps

Sunchaser

awesome. Thanks. It's not that the bag is heavy it's just bulky and a pain to bring upstairs. Even at home.
Yeah, bulky bags don't do so hot in a roomette, much easier to leave large bags downstairs in the rack.

All of the above applies if you are on a Superliner sleeper, the bi-level cars. If you happen to be riding a Viewliner sleeper, the single level cars that run out of NYC to Chicago, Miami, and New Orleans, then there is no luggage rack. There is more space within the room for luggage, although not a huge amount of space.

What I do on the Superliner is leave my bag(s) in the luggage rack. Then when I go to shower or change, my bag is right next to the shower or rest room and I can just grab what I need before I go in. After I'm done, I can just put things back in my bag easily.

And don't forget that the sleeper will only have ~30 passengers, instead of the 70+ in coach, so there will be more room in the luggage rack on a sleeper.

I've been studying up on this, when we go on our trip, all of our luggage will be carry on, and we will have a bedroom.When you have a roomette, you do have some room for luggage. There is also an area downstairs right inside the sleeper door for luggage storage.

If you are traveling alone, you could leave your carry on in the upper bunk. You are allowed 2 carry on no bigger than 28" x 22" x 14"* (except on surfliners, *Carry-on baggage is limited to 11" on Pacific Surfliner trains. Checked baggage is not available on all trains or in all stations. )

Many people choose to bring a small bag up to their roomette/bedroom rather than all of their stuff.

Hope this helps

Sunchaser
Just curious, why are you taking all your bags carry on? Are you dealing with a station that does not have baggage service?

Someone else mentioned this, but if you are alone, you can use the upper bunk in a roomette for carry ons. Just have the attendant lower it when you get on the train. On the single level Amfleet cars, you can do the same thing, plus there is actually room above the toilet area for a few things. I also read somewhere else that, on the Superliners (bi-level cars), some people keep their carry on luggage downstairs, then use the upper bunk for sleeping so they can get up during the night and have a "sitting area" should they feel like it.

My wife and I usually get two roomettes rather than a bedroom. It is often less expensive and it gives us much more room.

Just curious, why are you taking all your bags carry on? Are you dealing with a station that does not have baggage service?
When we traveled cross country last year we had 2 connections on the way east and 3 on the way back where if things were tight, we may have made a dash for the connecting train, but if there were bags in a luggage car to be retrieved, they would have been left behind. Granted they would eventually catch up to our final destination, but it wasn't a big deal to keep it nearby in the downstairs racks.

Also came in handy to leave it downstairs and just dig around in it for a change of clothes whenever. We had access to anything we brought on the trip without having to keep it in a tight roomette.

Besides that, I had a look into the luggage car thru the last vestibule on the LSL, and it weren't pretty the way the luggage was tossed around in there. It had much better care in the sleeper racks under my care.

I have been on Superliners where the downstairs luggage rack was jammed. Had I wanted to get "a few things," I would have had to move a dozen bags. To me, carry-ons are precisely for the purpose of bringing the things that one needs into the sleeper, so one would not need to stow and restow items or move others' luggage.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back