Texas Eagle discussion H2 2024

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Regarding the St. Louis drop car, is it currently running or will it be added in September? And I know in years past they only opened the door at select stations. Why? And does it operate under the TE name and number (21/22) or does it have it's own?

Regarding the St. Louis drop car, is it currently running or will it be added in September? And I know in years past they only opened the door at select stations. Why?
There is usually only 1 Coach attendant on the Eaglete for the Regular 2 Coach consist between Chicago and San Antonio.

So when a Cutout Coach is on the consist between Chicago and St Louis, one of the Conductors handles the door in St Louis and other stops between Chicago and St Louis.

If Im on the TE on a Tuesday out of CHI on my way to ELP, will I have to leave my bedroom / car and transfer to the Sunset at San Antonio?

If Im on the TE on a Tuesday out of CHI on my way to ELP, will I have to leave my bedroom / car and transfer to the Sunset at San Antonio?
Probably not, if you booked a through ticket CHI-ELP with no breaks in the journey. Your sleeping car should be moved to the SL at San Antonio, probably while you're sleeping. You will lose electrical power in your room during the transfer, but if you're asleep, you won't care.
If any of this changes come September, when an additional coach and sleeper are to be added to the TE's consist on days when it joins the SL, hopefully someone more knowledgeable will give us both a heads-up.

I cringe every time I see a SSL on the Saluki.
Same
If any of this changes come September, when an additional coach and sleeper are to be added to the TE's consist on days when it joins the SL, hopefully someone more knowledgeable will give us both a heads-up.
Should be no change with the transfer. It just means the train will be longer on Sunset days

Should be no problem as the #421 Sleeper and 1 Coach are switched to the #1 Sunset Consist in San Antonio for LAX.

Last edited:
As long as you are booked in the 421 sleeper (422 if east bound) you will not have to move. I've done several trips LA to Temple, TX and return on the Eagle (a few years ago) and always stayed put in my sleeper.

Last edited:
As long as you are booked in the 421 sleeper (422 if east bound) you will not have to move. I've done several trips LA to Temple, TX and return on the Eagle (a few years ago) and always stayed put in my sleeper.
The first time I took the Eagle (CHI->Tuscon), we arrived in San Antonio pretty much on time and weren't due to leave for many hours (2 or 3 or 4AM), so I asked if it was safe to leave and go for a walk. The SCA told me if the car was closed, I might have to wait in the station or on the platform, but just get back before it left. I walked about 5 blocks to the River Walk, and around the Walk for an hour or two and arrived back at the train at about 11 PM and my sleeper, the coach and (maybe?) the cafe car were parked near the station. The rest of the train (engine, other coach, etc.) had vanished (maybe in the yard somewhere being turned?) and the door to the sleeper was open, so I climbed back on and went to my roomette. When I woke up, we were somewhere around Sanderson rolling west. So, no, you don't have to stay in your sleeper, but you don't need to be awake for the transfer.

Last edited:
It will be interesting to see what the new order of consist will be be between SAS and CHI. I’m assuming they’ll move the full time sleeper up between the locomotive and dining lounge and put the extra cars on the end with the added sleeper on the very end of the train. They will still need to reverse the order of 421 sleeper and coach on arrival in SAS for 1, but that won’t take too long and the 422 cars will do as normal now and just do a drop off of 2 and couple onto the rear of 22. Still not ideal for the CHI-STL added coach passengers to get to the dining lounge, but I guess it’ll have to do.

I would like opinions on What Would You Do? Planning a trip from CHI to LAX for 2 seniors in a bedroom. These choices are barring no interruptions or delays. First option is, we already booked the SWC for $1955, to arrive 43 hours later. The last 8 hours is overnight while sleeping. Second option is to take the TE to ELP for $1275. Arriving 48 hours later at 125pm. Then catching a flight for $500, 6:52pm - 8:10pm, to LAX the same day. Second trip will be roughly $200 cheaper, but the day is over since we are arriving in the evening. After writing all this out, I may have answered my question myself. Both trips arrive the same day, first one in the morning, the second in the evening for $200 less. It seems my first choice may be the better one. What Do You Think?

Personally, I like arriving early if the $200 isn't that big of a hit to your budget. However, you have to weight that to how soon you can check in to your hotel, and what you do with your time until then. There certainly is plenty to do in LA! I just learned that a Marriott I booked with was offering "guaranteed early check" in for an additional $65, which is ridiculous. I rolled the dice and did not pay that and still got in a good hour early.

I would like opinions on What Would You Do? Planning a trip from CHI to LAX for 2 seniors in a bedroom. These choices are barring no interruptions or delays. First option is, we already booked the SWC for $1955, to arrive 43 hours later. The last 8 hours is overnight while sleeping. Second option is to take the TE to ELP for $1275. Arriving 48 hours later at 125pm. Then catching a flight for $500, 6:52pm - 8:10pm, to LAX the same day. Second trip will be roughly $200 cheaper, but the day is over since we are arriving in the evening. After writing all this out, I may have answered my question myself. Both trips arrive the same day, first one in the morning, the second in the evening for $200 less. It seems my first choice may be the better one. What Do You Think?
No Contest,Go with the Chief! Better arrival time, no hassle of getting from the El Paso Station to the Airport, No TSA etc.

And the Chief has Traditional Dinning as opposed to Flex Meals on the Eaglete and a Sightseer Lounge!!

Personally, I like arriving early if the $200 isn't that big of a hit to your budget. However, you have to weight that to how soon you can check in to your hotel, and what you do with your time until then. There certainly is plenty to do in LA! I just learned that a Marriott I booked with was offering "guaranteed early check" in for an additional $65, which is ridiculous. I rolled the dice and did not pay that and still got in a good hour early.
Most hotels will let you leave your bags there then check in later. Or leave them at the Metropolitan Lounge at LAX as was suggested.

Back