Texas Eagle discussion H2 2024

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Route has always been a bit of an orphan. It isn't as long or as scenic as the other western runs, so if there were short of equipment, it gets picked.
That, plus historically, it never was a thru train route like maybe the Golden State, RI-SP train was.
In addition it does share the diner and SSL with the Sunset when it’s combined, and maybe there’s not enough to go all the way on both trains where separated…🤷‍♂️

I'm planning to be on the Texas Eagle 421 sleeping car leaving Chicago on Tuesday October 15th, passing through my 'home station' Austin on Wednesday the 16th, and arriving in LA on the 18th.
on the 19th/20th the Coast Starlight to Portland, 21st/22nd Empire Builder to Sandpoint; then 25th/26th the EB again to get back to Chicago, and board the TE on the 28th to get home.
All this to one-time ride the whole length of the Chicago-San Antonio-Los Angeles 421. Just something I've wanted to do since I heard of it.

In addition it does share the diner and SSL with the Sunset when it’s combined, and maybe there’s not enough to go all the way on both trains where separated…🤷‍♂️
The diner lounges (aka "CCC") on the Eagle were converted from Superliner Diners and still have full galleys downstairs. Only the upstairs was reconfigured. They are fully capable of providing traditional dining if properly staffed and stocked.

Prior to COVID, diner-lounges were regularly assigned to the CONO and Capitol and provided full, traditional dining meal service. I rode on both when that was the case. I think the Eagle had one with full traditional dining back in the same time frame, but cannot say for sure.

Even when the Eagle had traditional dining, its diner/diner-lounge did not go through to LA. It was cut off in SAS and the Sunset's diner was the only one SAS-LAX. The only combined train that kept both diners that I recall was the CZ in the 80s. The Desert Wind's diner stayed on the combined train at least between Salt Lake and Denver. I don't recall whether it went all the way to Chicago, but I kind of think it didn't.

Last edited:
Where it connected to a Mexican train that ran to Mexico City. (I think you had to cross the border and get to the Mexican station in Nuevo Laredo on your own.) It's described in Paul Theroux's Old Patagonian Express.
Back in the 1990s there was a tourist train using old 'Heritage' sleepers and a diner from Nuevo Laredo to Mexico City, and I took a bus from Fredericksburg to San Antonio, then another to Laredo, and a taxi across the border to get on this train, in order to visit a missionary friend who was living there. I spent about a week, climbed a pyramid at Teotihuacan, and reversed the process to get home. On the homeward, the train was late into NL, and the taxi got me to the bus station in Laredo 20 minutes after the last bus was scheduled to leave, but luck was with me, Something held the bus up, and I just got aboard.

I'm planning to be on the Texas Eagle 421 sleeping car leaving Chicago on Tuesday October 15th, passing through my 'home station' Austin on Wednesday the 16th, and arriving in LA on the 18th.
on the 19th/20th the Coast Starlight to Portland, 21st/22nd Empire Builder to Sandpoint; then 25th/26th the EB again to get back to Chicago, and board the TE on the 28th to get home.
All this to one-time ride the whole length of the Chicago-San Antonio-Los Angeles 421. Just something I've wanted to do since I heard of it.
My mom did FTW-LAX-SJC (Coast Starlight) several times. She aways went back the same way in reverse; she wanted to go back by SJC-PDX-CHI-FTW but couldn't afford to. She did love the route she took.

Where it connected to a Mexican train that ran to Mexico City. (I think you had to cross the border and get to the Mexican station in Nuevo Laredo on your own.) It's described in Paul Theroux's Old Patagonian Express.
At one time( I can't remember when this was halted) there were cutout cars from the Mopac run Texas Eagle to the Aztec Eagle that were shuttled across the Rio Grande from Laredo to the Nuevo Laredo Station.

As others said, the Amtrak Inter American required you to make your own way across the border to catch the Mexico City bound Train.

The Aztec Eagle used old Mopac Equipmemt between Nuevo Laredo and Mexico City and was a real bargain.( I paid $25 for a Bedroom between Nuevo Laredo and Mexico City in 1970)

I t was a very Slow but Fun trip, taking 30+ Hours for the 1,120 KM trip, versus 14-18 Hours on the 1st Class Buses that ran this route.

The Eagle gets a lot of attention, and that’s not bad, but the City of New Orleans should also get a similar amount of attention. In any event, rerouting the through cars to the Sunset via Midland would make a lot of sense. Make Fort Worth into a hub. Extend the Heartland Flyer to San Antonio. Through cars from the Crescent Star from Atlanta to Los Angeles on the rerouted Eagle would be popular. Lots you can do. New food service options including sit-down and carry out dining service available to all passengers is essential. Amtrak seems to want to do away with all non-revenue space in favor of people taking food back to seats and rooms. This makes train travel much less desirable because people have to move for physical and mental health. Common lounge and dining areas make for a pleasant distraction for people. They may also mitigate behavior problems. The fact that the new Venture cafes lack tables, and some of this seems to be carrying over into the new, long distance designs, is very concerning.

It’s really the orphan of Amtrak’s long distance trains and the crews out of Chicago can be problematic as a plus.
I’ve always had great crews on the Eagle, and I haven’t seen any problem with Chicago based crews in general. That sounds like a sweeping generalization that’s unsupported. The Eagle is no more of an orphan than the City of New Orleans or the Capitol. It’s just the Texas folks are way more vocal.

I’ve always had great crews on the Eagle, and I haven’t seen any problem with Chicago based crews in general. That sounds like a sweeping generalization that’s unsupported. The Eagle is no more of an orphan than the City of New Orleans or the Capitol. It’s just the Texas folks are way more vocal.
But some of us vocal people are not Texas folks. The Eagle is a long trip to take without the amenities it used to have. The Capitol and the City of New Orleans deserve better amenities but they are relatively short hauls compared to the Eagle.

Somebody please explain how the TE switches with the SL in San Antonio. When the TE arrives, do we have to get off? When the SL arrives, do they have to get off? Or do they just move cars from one train to another? Then what happens to the engines they don't use anymore? Or does the whole consist of both trains and both engines continue too LAX.

Somebody please explain how the TE switches with the SL in San Antonio. When the TE arrives, do we have to get off? When the SL arrives, do they have to get off? Or do they just move cars from one train to another? Then what happens to the engines they don't use anymore? Or does the whole consist of both trains and both engines continue too LAX.
I don't know 100% of the specifics, but the TE will have dedicated sleeper cars and at least a coach that is a "through car" to the SL, and vice versa. These are marked in an itinerary as trains #421 and #422.

If your reservation is in one of those cars (your train assignment will say #421 throughout) you stay in them as the cars are decoupled and switched onto the other train. You have the option to get off the train at San Antonio, but once you're off the train you can't board again until the train is back at the platform. If I remember, the through-cars get shunted onto a separate track in the yard to wait for the SL after everyone on the TE leaves the train in San Antonio. Once the SL arrives from Houston those cars get pushed to the SL and coupled at the end of it.

However, if your reservation indicates that you are on the TE and then the SL (usually #21 and then #1 as train numbers), you must leave the train in San Antonio and wait in the station while the through-cars are uncoupled and moved onto the SL. Your coach car on the TE gets turned around in the yard for the next morning's run to Chicago.

I think the engines for the TE are kept for the next morning's run to Chicago unless there's a necessary equipment swap.

Last edited:
If you are booked on 421, you are on the through cars (a sleeper and a coach) and can stay onboard. If you are booked on 21 and 1, you must deboard on 21's arrival, prior to switching, and reboard when the Sunset is called after the trains are combined.

Until now, the single Eagle sleeper had gone onto the Sunset. Apparently starting this month, there will be a through sleeper and a purely Eagle sleeper. They had been keeping a sleeper in SAS to cover the next day's 22 when the only sleeper had gone on to LA as part of 421. Now there is an Eagle sleeper that stays on 21, separate from the 421 sleeper, so they no longer need to keep sleepers there. Don't know the car line numbers they use for those two sleepers.

The 421 sleeper and coach are switched off and added to 1. The rest of the consist returns to Chicago as 22.

I don't know about what is done with the power. I think the combined train is too long for just one unit, though. The line has a some good grades on it. Beaumont Pass is 2.2% IIRC.

Last edited:
If you are booked on 421, you are on the through cars (a sleeper and a coach) and can stay onboard. If you are booked on 21 and 1, you must deboard on 21's arrival, prior to switching, and reboard when the Sunset is called after the trains are combined.

Until now, the single Eagle sleeper had gone onto the Sunset. Apparently starting this month, there will be a through sleeper and a purely Eagle sleeper. They had been keeping a sleeper in SAS to cover the next day's 22 when the only sleeper had gone on to LA as part of 421. Now there is an Eagle sleeper that stays on 21/21, separate from the 421 sleeper, so they no longer need to keep sleepers there. Don't know the car line numbers they use for those two sleepers.

The 421 sleeper and coach are switched off and added to 1. The rest of the consist returns to Chicago as 22.

I don't know about what is done with the power. I think the combined train is too long for just one unit, though. The line has a some good grades on it. Beaumont Pass is 2.2% IIRC.
You mention the number 1 twice. Here is one of the sentences. "The 421 sleeper and coach are switched off and added to 1". What is 1, is that a train?

You mention the number 1 twice. Here is one of the sentences. "The 421 sleeper and coach are switched off and added to 1". What is 1, is that a train?
Both are train numbers. 1 is an actual train, the westbound Sunset Limited. 421 is an artifact of the reservation system to represent the Chicago-Los Angeles through cars carried by the Eagle (21) and the Sunset (1). It never becomes an independent train, unlike its sisters 27 and 449.

The reservation system has to have a separate number for cars traveling between different sets of terminals, even if carried on the same physical train. The Eagle used to carry a set out coach to St Louis that was represented in the reservation system by train number 821. So leaving Chicago, the Eagle on LA days consisted of "trains" 21, 421, and 821 in the reservations system. Operationally, it was one physical train, 21.

This practice can cause confusion for novice riders, on LA days an inquiry on the website for travel for points between Chicago and San Antonio, will return a choice of two different "trains", 21 and 421. They often are confused about which one to choose, the answer being the cheapest since it is the same physical train. On FB I am a member of the Empire Builder group and that question comes up all the time for 7 versus 27.

Last edited:
I took the 421 Texas Eagle a couple of years ago when Matrak dropped the sleeper I was to take on the Southwest Chief. Rebooked myself in the family room on the Texas Eagle for three nights which was reasonably priced v. the roomette on the chief. When we got to San Antonio, we were able to get on and off the train for an extended period while waiting for the Sunset Limited to arrive from New Orleans. A large cross street was blocked for the entire period. I stayed with the folks near the train, not wanting to venture out into a strange city in the small hours of the night.

The food in the cafe car on the Texas Eagle segement was limited, plus you couldn't walk the length of the train because the serving station for coach blocked the aisle. So the very good food on the Sunset Limited was particularly satifying.

My room was immediately behind the locomotive on the Eagle, found myself at the rear on the Sunset Limited.

Both are train numbers. 1 is an actual train, the westbound Sunset Limited. 421 is an artifact of the reservation system to represent the Chicago-Los Angeles through cars carried by the Eagle (21) and the Sunset (1). It never becomes an independent train, unlike its sisters 27 and 449.

The reservation system has to have a separate number for cars traveling between different sets of terminals, even if carried on the same physical train. The Eagle used to carry a set out coach to St Louis that was represented in the reservation system by train number 821. So leaving Chicago, the Eagle on LA days consisted of "trains" 21, 421, and 821 in the reservations system. Operationally, it was one physical train, 21.

This practice can cause confusion for novice riders, on LA days an inquiry on the website for travel for points between Chicago and San Antonio, will return a choice of two different "trains", 21 and 421. They often are confused about which one to choose, the answer being the cheapest since it is the same physical train. On FB I am a member of the Empire Builder group and that question comes up all the time for 7 versus 27.
(

From my observations prior to the current practice of the extra dedicated 421/422 cars, here’s how the SAS switching is handled. When 21 arrives (with the head end facing railroad east), it will unload all SAS passengers and any through passengers wishing to hop off. Next they will switch the through sleeper and coach (a standard coach with lower level seating) to the other station track with the sleeper east of the coach. As train 1 arrives, it will pull past the station and reverse into the station to the track the 421 cars are on (train 21/22 will be on the other track) and couples up to the waiting cars to create one train to go to LAX with the 421 sleeper on the rear. Then when train 2 comes in, it will stop short of the station but on the station track and uncouple the 422 coach and sleeper. It then pulls the remainder of the train into the station for its station work. Then train 22 will go couple to the 422 cars and pull into the station to prepare for their departure.

The power on the trains nearly always remains on whatever train it came in on, i.e. train 1/2 stays together and 21’s power turns for the next mornings 22, no swapping of power. Lately both trains have been running with two engines.

Also, 21/22 is running an extra coach between CHI-STL and not reclassifying it as a 821/822 car.

Back