Thruway coach from San Francisco-Emeryville and timings

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
T

ToDestiny

Hi,

Am planning my first Amtrak trip on the Coast Starlight from San Francisco to Seattle and have a query about the Thruway coach. According to Amtrak reservations the coach gets to the station for 21.50 and the train leaves at 22.07 but Amtrak also advise being at the station at least 30 mins before departure. Will the train wait if the coach is late or would I better off making my own way to Emeryville earlier on in the evening? From what I can see the Thruway coach is linked to the train but I don't really fancy getting stranded at the station because of traffic!

Also, apparently checked baggage is not available for at least one portion of my trip although helpfully it doesn't say which part, I assume they mean the coach? Will they check my backpack on arrival at the station? It is probably small enough to be a carry on anyway but would rather it was locked away safely.

Thanks

The Thruway busses are dedicate only to Amtrak passengers, and for that train. Also, that connection is guaranteed. Thus, there is no reason for the train to depart without passengers who paid to take that train. If the bus (for some reason) arrive 1 hour late, than the train will depart late.

If BOTH of your departing station AND destination station offer checked baggage service, you can check your baggage. If one does not, you can not check your baggage. I don't know which (in you case) does not, but if it's one of the San Francisco stops (such as SFW), I recommend you go to the Ferry Building (SFC). It is a full service stop, including checked baggage! (All the other bus stops are just that - bus stops only.) And there will not be enough tine to check your bag in EMY!

If you don't want to go to the Ferry Building, you can take any of the earlier buses across the Bay to Emeryville, and give yourself additional time to be comfortable checking your bag there. Many times, I've taken an earlier bus than was meant to connect to my train.

Please note that this doesn't work when going south on the Coast Starlight. Not only is the train fairly early in the morning, the bus takes passengers from San Francisco to Oakland, not Emeryville.

Thanks for your replies, have booked the bus from the Ferry Building and will make sure to allow plenty of time to check my bag. Now eagerly reading the first timer info, SO glad I don't have to do this journey on Greyhound :D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back