Tracking FY 2024 Ridership and Finances

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Unfortunately this management does not see it that way. I expect Gardner and the BOD to get more aggressive in front of Congress to let them drop some trains. Poor financials whether legit or self induced don’t help the matter. Inflating LD costs and a more stingy Congress could see things turn South very quickly. This may not be the thread but I also don’t see a LD order being placed. Just more hemming and hawing although as of recently it’s just been quiet.

The fares really need to be addressed. The long standing saying was Amtrak shouldn’t be a land cruise. Ironically now a 7-14 day cruise can be found much cheaper than 2 nights in an Amtrak bedroom. $3500 ish CHI to SEA/EMY/LAX. 7 night cruises can be found under $500. It may be an apple to oranges comparison but that’s my families rational for no trips in the last 2 plus years. We used to take 3 LD trips a year. Amtraks just not a good value in today’s travel market and it looks like people are finally getting wise.

Last edited:
Unfortunately this management does not see it that way. I expect Gardner and the BOD to get more aggressive in front of Congress to let them drop some trains. Poor financials whether legit or self induced don’t help the matter. Inflating LD costs and a more stingy Congress could see things turn South very quickly. This may not be the thread but I also don’t see a LD order being placed. Just more hemming and hawing although as of recently it’s just been quiet.

The fares really need to be addressed. The long standing saying was Amtrak shouldn’t be a land cruise. Ironically now a 7-14 day cruise can be found much cheaper than 2 nights in an Amtrak bedroom. $3500 ish CHI to SEA/EMY/LAX. 7 night cruises can be found under $500. It may be an apple to oranges comparison but that’s my families rational for no trips in the last 2 plus years. We used to take 3 LD trips a year. Amtraks just not a good value in today’s travel market and it looks like people are finally getting wise.
The only way to lower sleeper fares is to increase inventory. They are not a good value proposition and no one really says that they are. Other travel modes, cruises and First Class air, present better, sometimes much better, value propositions, but that is immaterial. The prices are due to very constrained inventory that doesn't meet demand, not the product's value.

The prices will remain high, and perhaps rise higher as more capacity is lost due to wrecks, until more cars are ordered, built and put into service, if that ever happens. I share your skepticism there.

Supply better meeting demand is the only actual solution.

But the fares don't need to be as high as they are, regardless of the supply or the revenue they pull in. They suppress ridership and discourage first-time riders, the most important demographic that Amtrak desperately needs to convince.

Back