Trip Questions

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Min, your excitement is contagious. I am so happy for you and your granddaughter. I am still hoping to stop by the station on my way to Target tomorrow afternoon. If you see a 5'2" middle-aged woman, wearing all black, with glasses, no suitcase and wearing a non-age appropriate hair style, then wave. I will look for a woman and a child. Most likely in the Orlando station, there will be a lot more women with children than women that look like I do. :giggle:
*** redoing my hair ***

You all are so funny! I will kinda be looking, but if you see a 50s-ish grandma with a very hyper type little girl...Well, that may or may not be me!....If you come close and look inquisitive....I may say hello...Ha-ha..... I can hardly contain myself at this point....Hope to meet you.....All the best...Min

Update:

Min arrived on the bus from Lakeland right around the time I pulled into the parking lot. I recognized her pretty easily. I definitely agree that she will need a Redcap in NYP. I pretty much served as her Orlando Redcap. :)

97 was in the station when I arrived. 98 was a little late arriving into ORL and it took a while to board the coach passengers since there was a large group getting on. I waited in line with Min and her granddaughter and it appears that the attendant assigned them to 2 seats together. The 3 year granddaughter was getting a bit tired and cranky, so hopefully she took a nap after they boarded.

Hopefully we will hear from Min when she arrives in Syracuse for her family reunion.

Update:
Min arrived on the bus from Lakeland right around the time I pulled into the parking lot. I recognized her pretty easily. I definitely agree that she will need a Redcap in NYP. I pretty much served as her Orlando Redcap. :)

97 was in the station when I arrived. 98 was a little late arriving into ORL and it took a while to board the coach passengers since there was a large group getting on. I waited in line with Min and her granddaughter and it appears that the attendant assigned them to 2 seats together. The 3 year granddaughter was getting a bit tired and cranky, so hopefully she took a nap after they boarded.

Hopefully we will hear from Min when she arrives in Syracuse for her family reunion.
Penny that is so good to hear, I hope she took my suggestion and puts the granddaughter on the window seat so Min can get some sleep without worrying about the little one getting up.

And if you have an iPhone, the free Amtrak app can be very handy -- in the event of any travel delays enroute -- to get up-to-date information on expected arrival times in stations down the line.

Update:

Penny that is so good to hear, I hope she took my suggestion and puts the granddaughter on the window seat so Min can get some sleep without worrying about the little one getting up.
Yes, she planned to put the granddaughter next to the window. We discussed that issue.

:cool: Good job Penny! Will you serve as our RedCap in Orlando when we board #98 on the way to the Gathering? :giggle:
Sorry Jim, I only serve as a Redcap for grandmothers taking their first train trip accompanied by a 3 year old granddaughter.... provided that I do not have my own luggage, which I will when you board 98 (at the same time I will be boarding).

Update:

Yes, she planned to put the granddaughter next to the window. We discussed that issue.
Oh so glad for some reason I have been worrying about the little one getting away from her. I can rest now. :hi:

Update:

Oh so glad for some reason I have been worrying about the little one getting away from her. I can rest now. :hi:
She was worried about the same thing. The 3 year old has a lot of "energy."

Just a quick thank you again to Penny, my hero for this day. Tried to post earlier, but since I am new at this , lost two previous attempts. We just left Jesup, Ga a few minutes ago. All is well. The little one is still going strong,and grandma is n need of some zzzzzz. More later. Btw..... Love it!!!!!

Just a quick thank you again to Penny, my hero for this day. Tried to post earlier, but since I am new at this , lost two previous attempts. We just left Jesup, Ga a few minutes ago. All is well. The little one is still going strong,and grandma is n need of some zzzzzz. More later. Btw..... Love it!!!!!
I enjoyed meeting you and Maddie. Hopefully she will be asleep soon (and you too). Enjoy your trip and keep in touch. :)

Late to this thread, but I would strongly caution you against leaving any electronics whatsoever out and unattended. This would certainly include a laptop. If granddaughter suddenly has to "go," take the laptop and your purse with you to the restroom.

If there is no friendly person to help you at NYP, definitely ask your car attendant or conductor to request one. It will make a big difference in changing trains.

Exhausted! Too fearful and tired to stick my nose out of Penn Station, but did get some great NY pizza! Had a problem getting a RedCap initially, but finally got to share one with a very pregnant Mama and small child. Ahhhh, my back! Note to self... Less baggage., More later...

I am happy to hear that you made it to New York City ok. Sorry to hear that you had problems getting a RedCap. Thanks for the update.

Best way to get a Red Cap is to ask your attendant (if the train has one) or the conductor BEFORE the train arrives at the station! They can radio ahead for one to meet you when the train arrives.
She had planned on doing that. Apparently either she did not or something went wrong. :(

Yeah, I had asked our attendant right after the stop previous to NYP, her looked at me , pulled my bags from the overhead, put them on the empty seat in front of us, and said I should have asked sooner, said he'd see what he could do, never saw him again until I had trouble getting my bags and Madie down the steps onto the platform. Another passenger helped get the bags down the steps. I snagged the RedCap up in the wait area while he was loading up someone else.... Was so happy to see him return as he said he would. A relief to my back too. We are currently stopped in Albany... Almost to destination!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back