URGENT: Coast Starlight Ticket Availability?

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I was on the CS last Saturday (LAX-SEA) arriving Sunday night......20 min. ahead of schedule! Lots of extra seats and rooms. Biggest thrill was when they stopped a at grade crossing to meet the local sheriff to hand over a drunk riding on coach!

Wb

Yes, I do really love trains, but this also involves seeing a girl :]

Thanks for the money saving trip for Santa Barbara county, but the second poster was right, unfortunately it doesn't work for the Coast Starlight.

Finally, I figure my first paycheck this summer will just be set aside to recoop the funds spent on this trip.

Now, another important question:

The last time I road Amtrak was on an afternoon train from Los Angeles to Irvine. In the snacks section of the train they had a microwave used for heating up the little meals you purchased. Do you think the snack clerk would microwave food that I bring along with me for free or maybe a small surchage? Has anyone tried this before? Is there any official policy on this? Would it be best to wait until they're not busy and ask really nicely? Anything that anyone knows is appreciated.

Thanks for the money saving trip for Santa Barbara county, but the second poster was right, unfortunately it doesn't work for the Coast Starlight.

Finally, I figure my first paycheck this summer will just be set aside to recoop the funds spent on this trip.

The last time I road Amtrak was on an afternoon train from Los Angeles to Irvine. In the snacks section of the train they had a microwave used for heating up the little meals you purchased. Do you think the snack clerk would microwave food that I bring along with me for free or maybe a small surchage? Has anyone tried this before? Is there any official policy on this? Would it be best to wait until they're not busy and ask really nicely? Anything that anyone knows is appreciated.
the FDA prohibits Amtrak from heating your own food or storing it in there refrigerators for health reasons.

Please be aware that federal health regulations prohibit us from storing your meals in our refrigerators or heating them in our ovens.
http://www.amtrak.com/servlet/ContentServe...79&ssid=352

Your question is a common one but sadly the health regulators win so you can not have food microwaved, or microwave it yourself while on the train. Thats not to say you can't bring your own food along Amtrak just can't help you store or prepare it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back