Walking Stick

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cal H

Train Attendant
Not really a special need, just a want…
Planning to do at least a short hike in Yosemite and to trek across the Golden Gate Bridge. Traveling by rail pass in coach. Would I be able to take my walking stick on the adventure, ir best to leave it home?
Any thoughts as to carrying it on any San Francisco public transit?

Not really a special need, just a want…
Planning to do at least a short hike in Yosemite and to trek across the Golden Gate Bridge. Traveling by rail pass in coach. Would I be able to take my walking stick on the adventure, ir best to leave it home?
Any thoughts as to carrying it on any San Francisco public transit?
Since I've been using a cane while traveling, I've had no problems. I use a walking stick on Denver buses and rail transit and always have had good experiences. On the other hand, I look elderly, so do not appear threatening. If you're fit enough to walk the GG Bridge, someone might misinterpret the stick as a threat.

We were able to take them on the plane last year that we put in the overhead bin. They were the folding kind and one of the TSA people had to check with someone else before one of the flights. But really not a problem and glad we had them for some of the trails. I don’t know if it made a difference but we were in the pre-check line.

I've been using collapsible trekking poles, which fit very nicely into a suitcase or backpack. The last time I traveled with a walking stick was in 1987, when I flew to the west coast for a backpacking trip in the Sierras. They let me take it on the plane, but I had to stow it up front in the closet area. But that was way back in 1987.

Barring another derailment there is no air travel in our plans.
Just Amtrak and public transit.
Appreciate the replies thus far.

Never occurred to me that a walking stick would be a problem on an airplane. Recently carried one on a plane. No issues. As to use as a weapon: Quite a few years ago saw a fight on a city bus in San Francisco where one of the participants was using his stick to smack the other person. We bailed at the next stop, which was no where near our destination, so I do not know the outcome.

Overblown - usually no problem with TSA or any authorities - - -

UNLESS -
The walking stick/cane has a convertible sword or sharp pointed pick/axe - can be broken down into nun-chucks
YES in the hands of someone with a degree of skill could be used as a weapon

Some of the walking sticks can be broken down into two parts or compressed into a smaller shorter version
If you don't look the part of a scout with hiking stick or senior with auxiliary aide there could be questions

Never had any TSA problem - just set my adjustable aluminum cane in scanner and pick-up after scan.

Sir limps about thanks you - have a nice day - - - - -

If you're fit enough to walk the GG Bridge, someone might misinterpret the stick as a threat.
I would disagree.

I had a relative, unfortunately no longer with us. But she managed to maintain an active lifestyle right into her mid 80s, and this included doing zumba exercises and going for all day hikes in the mountains. She also looked about 20 years younger than she was, and I think many people did not realize quite how unusual she was for her age.

She used a stick, not because she needed it for fitness reasons, but to relieve pressure on her knee joints. She was also quite fashion conscious, and took a long time choosing a stick that was best for her, as she did not want it to make her "look old".

I have carried my collapsible walking stick/cane on and off of Amtrak trains for many years, with no difficulty. I need it for stability, as I tend to totter a bit, but not so much for support. It folds up nicely into one of the pockets of my backpack when I have my rolly suitcase as a substitute. Until recently I mostly used it when traveling, but a recent semi-catastrophic encounter with a concrete wheel stop in a parking lot (and the 3rd ambulance ride of my life) has convinced to have it with me all the time.

She used a stick, not because she needed it for fitness reasons, but to relieve pressure on her knee joints. She was also quite fashion conscious, and took a long time choosing a stick that was best for her, as she did not want it to make her "look old".
That's exactly why I've been using a walking stick or trekking poles for the past decade. That, and they do help with balance over rough terrain.

I do not have a walking stick but do sometimes use a cane. I have not had any issues taking a cane on Amtrak. I have one standard cane and one collapsible one. I can carry the folding one in my front pants pocket. Since I don't fly, I have no idea how that would go.

I've flown with a collapsible hiking poles - carried in, of all things, a bag chair bag - with no issue, but if there are pointed tips or spikes, that's where the problems arise. I've heard of hikers not being able to carry them on, but I can't imagine it would be an issue @ or w/ Amtrak.

A comment on terminology - "walking stick" vs "cane".

Seems to me that in the US such a device is usually referred to as a cane, but a walking stick in the UK. I recall my wife needing one after hurting her knee on our trip to the UK in 2022. At a "chemist" in London we inquired about a cane, at first they weren't sure what we were looking for then realized it was a "walking stick". Found a nice collapsible one which she still has for occasions when she needs it. Haven't tried using it on the train yet.

I seem to recall in my younger days when corporal punishment was still the norm in UK schools, the thin stick used to apply such punishment was generally referred to as a cane. So it still has that association in my mind.

Thanks everyone who has responded. To clarify a couple of points of confusion, and my thanks here to @BlackDiamond, I was asking about a walking stick, not a cane. My walking stick was a gift from my bestest friend about 40 or 50 years ago and I've carried it on many a hike in many parks, state & national. But I've always gotten to the parks by car, never by public transportation. The stick itself is about 5 foot long and I've attached a few medallions to it from parks I've hiked in.
I've decided that I would rather leave it home than chance a bus driver or train attendant tell me I would have to leave it behind.

I've decided that I would rather leave it home than chance a bus driver or train attendant tell me I would have to leave it behind.
I think that is really unlikely, or at least I've never seen walking sticks refused in the past, and if they did object you could ask them to put it in the checked luggage area or say it's necessary for your mobility. Even the TSA is mainly concerned about scanning and/or examining them rather than refusing them. The only time I would imagine it's a problem is if you hold it in an unusual/aggressive manner instead of using it in the normal fashion. That being said, if this particular stick means a lot to you (which it sounds like it does) then maybe take a different stick on the very slim chance it somehow creates a problem.

Back