Wash Racks and dirty equipment

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Does anyone on this forum have information regarding the status of Amtrak's wash racks? Which ones are operating, which ones are down, etc. In riding Amtrak over the last several years it seems that the company is not keeping their equipment clean. Any factual information on this would be appreciated.

It’s not very surprising that washing of equipment is not a priority. Some companies think rain is sufficient, others will happy to pay to keep the equipment clean. It cost money to wash equipment, and no clear income for doing it. Yes we rail fans think there value to have clean windows at the start of a journey, feel free to put that value in dollars for Amtrak to understand it.

I can say that the Auto Train is generally clean, they seem to always wash trains in Sanford.

It’s not very surprising that washing of equipment is not a priority. Some companies think rain is sufficient, others will happy to pay to keep the equipment clean. It cost money to wash equipment, and no clear income for doing it. Yes we rail fans think there value to have clean windows at the start of a journey, feel free to put that value in dollars for Amtrak to understand it.
Maybe it’s a matter of having pride in the product you provide the public.

The Downeaster uses the MBTA's wash rack at Boston Engine Terminal. But, it's essentially a drive-through car wash with pressure nozzles. It's not getting anything off that requires scrubbing.

The Downeaster uses the MBTA's wash rack at Boston Engine Terminal. But, it's essentially a drive-through car wash with pressure nozzles. It's not getting anything off that requires scrubbing.
I don’t know about that…there are some pressure washers powerful enough to take the paint off some surfaces…🤔

This hardly seems to be rocket science. There are several companies which provide railcar washing equipment but obtaining and maintaining the equipment has obviously not been a priority for Amtrak management.

https://www.whitingsystems.com/automatic-train-washing-systems
We need railroad people in executive positions. People with "tracks" in their blood. People who actually love the railroad and are not merely paid managers whose sole objective is profits. In like manner baseball players should own franchises.

I was watching a video of #5 passing thru FMG a few years ago on YouTube and it was filthy. Worse was the diner since it appeared the kitchen staff pitched a pot full of cooking oil out the door window at speed. That oil splattered down the side of the car and collected dirt and dust. Made a huge nasty looking blackened area. Made it like a P42 with a blown turbo. I sent a message to Amtrak twice as to the public impressions and brand reputation. Took a few trips but it was either washed or swapped.

We need railroad people in executive positions. People with "tracks" in their blood. People who actually love the railroad and are not merely paid managers whose sole objective is profits. In like manner baseball players should own franchises.
And we need serious politicians who actually want to govern and not just grand stand to get a cable news job or podcast going. And investors who want to spur innovation while earning a fair return and not just pump and dump. But sadly in the world we live in we get what we get and have to live with it to an extent. Sad but unfortunately these days far from anything is ideal.

Wash rack rebuild procurements now posted for Ivy City and Goleta CA.
Took me a while, but I finally figured out that Ivy City is at Washington D.C. I guess that's for NER's and Acelas, but it doesn't help the Silvers or Cardinal (well, maybe the Silver Star if it actually does get truncated in November.)

But why Goleta, which is 100 miles from L.A.?

Took me a while, but I finally figured out that Ivy City is at Washington D.C. I guess that's for NER's and Acelas, but it doesn't help the Silvers or Cardinal (well, maybe the Silver Star if it actually does get truncated in November.)

But why Goleta, which is 100 miles from L.A.?
That's for the Pacific Surfliner. Google Maps shows an existing rack there.

Back