What happens on the train when it is twelve hours late?

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
On October 21, 2024 (today), the Southwest Chief #3 is listed by Railrat.net as 12 hours late on departure from Albuquerque. We are planning our first train trip on this train in January. What happens on the train when it is twelve hours late? Do they keep serving food for roomette passengers (for free)? Is there enough water and whatever else is needed for the passengers? Does the train staff provide anything to help pass the time or otherwise occupy the time? Thanks for any experiences or comments.

I had an experience like this on the California Zephyr several years ago, 12 hours late into Emeryville. Their reserve food at the time was Dinty Moore beef stew over rice for lunch and dinner. That's it. I forget what was done for breakfast, but I think there was enough in reserve to manage a reduced menu. Water wasn't issue on that trip but given the aging equipment failure of the equipment is a risk at any given time. Staff didn't do anything above and beyond to help "pass the time." They were as frustrated as we were. The most unfortunate part was we arrived in Emeryville at about 4 a.m., and were dumped into the night.

They'll serve a meal to all passengers, typically Dinty Moore stew over rice. They probably will not serve the regular diner menu to sleeper passengers as they likely will have run out.

They'll likely run low on all items, including bottled water. However, no one will go thirsty, They'll make the regular watering stops so the cars' supplies will not run out. It's potable.

The crew doesn't do anything special.

I have been on more 8-14 hour late trains than I can count, and have "eaten the stew" many times.

I was on the Empire Builder train #8 that was 12 hours late into Chicago two weeks ago. The sleeper passengers got an extra entree (no dessert or appetizer) and coach passengers got the beef stew and a goodie box for food. Passengers who missed their connections in Chicago were given room accommodations and were able to be rebooked on the next day's train, and all of us were given food vouchers. And I got, and am guessing, everyone else got $200 travel vouchers, good for a year. I wasn't making same day connections so it didn't bother me. An extra night on the train and and an extra entree?? Worth it to me. The crew was excellent; they were very accommodating, especially toward the coach passengers. I was in a sleeper and was very impressed by our car attendant, Manny. We were that late due to slow orders because of high winds and because of wildfires that damaged the tracks east of Williston. We were held in Williston for 8 hours before going again. Great job by the crew in a difficult situation.

I was on the Empire Builder train #8 that was 12 hours late into Chicago two weeks ago. The sleeper passengers got an extra entree (no dessert or appetizer) and coach passengers got the beef stew and a goodie box for food. Passengers who missed their connections in Chicago were given room accommodations and were able to be rebooked on the next day's train, and all of us were given food vouchers. And I got, and am guessing, everyone else got $200 travel vouchers, good for a year. I wasn't making same day connections so it didn't bother me. An extra night on the train and and an extra entree?? Worth it to me. The crew was excellent; they were very accommodating, especially toward the coach passengers. I was in a sleeper and was very impressed by our car attendant, Manny. We were that late due to slow orders because of high winds and because of wildfires that damaged the tracks east of Williston. We were held in Williston for 8 hours before going again. Great job by the crew in a difficult situation.
I should add too that for what would have been the last meal into Chicago, all coach passengers, free of charge, got their choice of a hot dog or meatless burger from the dining car.

Back