When do we choose meal times?

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Boarding at 12:40 a.m. and heading west from Minnesota to Portland, OR. We are in a family sleeper, so I am aware our meals are included. When are meals typically served, and how many meals should I plan on for a 36 hour trip? We are arriving 10:10 a.m. in Portland. Does an attendant come a knockin with meal reservation times?

Boarding at 12:40 a.m. and heading west from Minnesota to Portland, OR. We are in a family sleeper, so I am aware our meals are included. When are meals typically served, and how many meals should I plan on for a 36 hour trip? We are arriving 10:10 a.m. in Portland. Does an attendant come a knockin with meal reservation times?
Breakfast is first come/first served. The LSA or someone will walk through the train for lunch reservations mid morning (if lunch reservations are required, not sure on the Builder), and mid afternoon for dinner reservations. They'll usually announce when they start walking the train. They do the sleepers first, then the coaches, and the lounge car last, so be in your room with the door open when the announce they're starting to take reservations.

You'll get breakfast, lunch and dinner on the next day after you board, and breakfast on the second day coming into Portland. They'll stop serving breakfast early that day, although I don't know when on the Portland section. I know on the Seattle section they stop seating when they enter the east portal of the Cascade Tunnel which is 7am or so. I imagine they stop seating at about the same time on the Portland section (departure from Wishram?).

Last edited by a moderator:
Since the Diner cuts off at Spokane and goes with the SEA section, you'll get a cold box Breakfast before arriving Portland; I've heard mixed reviews on how good it is.

Since the Diner cuts off at Spokane and goes with the SEA section, you'll get a cold box Breakfast before arriving Portland; I've heard mixed reviews on how good it is.
That is true!

The cold breakfast box may or may not be good. If you are returning directly from Portland on the Empire Builder, the cold dinner box is GREAT! It is prepared by a gourmet restaurant in Portland, and I personally think that it is one of the best meals that I've had on Amtrak!
biggrin.gif

Well as far as how many meals go, I think that you would get breakfast, lunch, dinner, and the second breakfast. Total worth about $55.

Doh! Forgot about that. Always ride the Seattle section...

I've really enjoyed the #27 into Portland, eating a bagel as we travel down the Columbia River Gorge! The # 7 into Seattle is awesome too, eating in the diner thru the Northern Cascades!!!! Ya can't go wrong in the North West!!!!

Have Fun

I was on #7 and #8 earlier this week, and on both trains lunch was "first come, first serve".

I have seen them do reservations before though... I think it depends on the crew, so there is no set standard.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back