WiFi on longer routes

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
United Airlines just struck a deal with Starlink to provide terrestrial quality WiFi on flights at no cost to the passengers starting 2025.

https://apnews.com/article/united-a...nternet-wifi-088d76af3fcca0b9108ced8b2ee19470

Allegedly one would be able to stream stuff to one's heart's content, something that you can;t quite do at present.

On terrestrial service like Amtrak a combination of terrestrial cellular and Starlink would be needed for best result since trains go through places where satellite visibility is minimal to non-existent. But for most of the route of a train like the EB across the high plains Starlink would work wonders. I hope Amtrak considers this possibility.

I know Indian Railways provides WiFi via Satellite Link, specifically select trains like Howrah Rajdhani. I suspect the connection just drops when it passes through three short tunnels that the train via Grand Chord passes through. There will be issues like that in almost every train in the US. Hence the need for providing blended carrier service.

Allegedly one would be able to stream stuff to one's heart's content, something that you can;t quite do at present.
Delta deployed streaming grade Internet domestically in February 2023. European and South American deployment is in progress with Africa scheduled this winter and Asia next year. Latency is obviously a factor but I was able to stream and download videos without much issue.

On terrestrial service like Amtrak a combination of terrestrial cellular and Starlink would be needed for best result since trains go through places where satellite visibility is minimal to non-existent. But for most of the route of a train like the EB across the high plains Starlink would work wonders. I hope Amtrak considers this possibility.
I think for the long-distance routes (CZ, EB, Silver services) "no internet in tunnels" would be a pretty good compromise.

Starlink works pretty well on Brightline, although that's not exactly a route with many tunnels.

Back