Auto Train discussion 2023 Q4 - 2024

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
We tried the roomette once and was not enjoyable. The upper bunk was too close to the ceiling and neither one of us could sleep up there. We ended up folding up the beds and sleeping in the seats. The bedroom prices are outrages as far as I am concerned. I am looking for a economical way of getting to Florida. Have taken coach for 17 years now, as you said you get little sleep from all the goings on. It is only 1 night and you can recover when you arrive in Florida.
We've been going pretty regularly since 2020 (when I retired).
We use our FNBO/AGR card for as many purchases as possible, and we've been able to book 2 of our Northbound return trips on Points, in a Bedroom.
After taking a Bedroom once, the wife won't travel any more without her own bathroom. We mix up the Southbound trips by driving every second or third year, to save on the costs. Driving TO vacation is easier to tolerate than driving home FROM vacation. :) When driving, we usually stay somewhere in NC, on BONVOY points, and then in HHI on DVC points. Otherwise, I agree with you, those Bedroom prices can be outrageous. :eek:

We tried the roomette once and was not enjoyable. The upper bunk was too close to the ceiling and neither one of us could sleep up there. We ended up folding up the beds and sleeping in the seats. The bedroom prices are outrages as far as I am concerned. I am looking for an economical way of getting to Florida. Have taken coach for 17 years now, as you said you get little sleep from all the goings on. It is only 1 night and you can recover when you arrive in Florida.
I agree with you. Prices have increased to the point where we ride coach also. Not only that, but last time we booked a Bedroom, neither one of us got much sleep. Last year we went back to coach and I actually got 4-5 hours of on/off sleep.
As you said, and we agree, we can do anything for 1 night. And for us, taking the train costs a bit more than $100 if we drove, since we would stay over 2 nights each way.

We tried the roomette once and was not enjoyable. The upper bunk was too close to the ceiling and neither one of us could sleep up there. We ended up folding up the beds and sleeping in the seats. The bedroom prices are outrages as far as I am concerned. I am looking for a economical way of getting to Florida. Have taken coach for 17 years now, as you said you get little sleep from all the goings on. It is only 1 night and you can recover when you arrive in Florida.
I have never ridden the Auto Train, being a resident of the West Coast, but I have been in plenty of Superliners. Note the upper berth in the Bedroom has the same amount of headroom as uppers in the Roomettes (aka "the coffin"). If you are looking to avoid a claustrophobic upper, you won't do it by paying the outrageous price for a Bedroom.

My general recommendation is getting two Roomettes over a Bedroom. Two Roomettes are usually cheaper than one Bedroom (somewhat depending on where the respective buckets are), both people get lowers, and you can get them across from each other if you call and such a pair is available.

I have never ridden the Auto Train, being a resident of the West Coast, but I have been in plenty of Superliners. Note the upper berth in the Bedroom has the same amount of headroom as uppers in the Roomettes (aka "the coffin"). If you are looking to avoid a claustrophobic upper, you won't do it by paying the outrageous price for a Bedroom.

My general recommendation is getting two Roomettes over a Bedroom. Two Roomettes are usually cheaper than one Bedroom (somewhat depending on where the respective buckets are), both people get lowers, and you can get them across from each other if you call and such a pair is available.
I agree with you. Prices have increased to the point where we ride coach also. Not only that, but last time we booked a Bedroom, neither one of us got much sleep. Last year we went back to coach and I actually got 4-5 hours of on/off sleep.
As you said, and we agree, we can do anything for 1 night. And for us, taking the train costs a bit more than $100 if we drove, since we would stay over 2 nights each way.
We evaluate the pros/cons, price and time impacts, as well as comfort & convenience, every year. Driving, for us, adds additional variables. I’m the only driver, and I will no longer drive more than 6 hours in a day, so we have to book 2 stays, incurring additional food costs, and adding another full travel day. The upside of that is that I don’t lose another day sleeping, upon arrival, recovering from a sleepless coach trip.
A rough estimate for a 3-day/2-night trip, with hotels in NC & SC, gas, food, etc. is between $500-$600.
It would be more if we didn’t have 2 free night awards every year, from our BONVOY card. And, that does not account for the additional wear and tear that 1,000 miles puts on our vehicle. So when bedrooms are on sale for $725, as they were recently, it’s an easy choice. When bedrooms are $1600, as they are right now for our Southbound dates, then we book rooms, and cross fingers that we might catch an Amtrak sale on Black Friday.

But in the Bedroom you don't have the curvature of the ceiling impinging on your space.

We are 6 month away from January 2025. I went to book travel round trip from Lorton to Sanford. The fare from Lorton to Sanford is already sky high. Does anyone know what that would be. I would be traveling be traveling with my husband (2 seniors) and 2 young granddaughters. The fare is $785 one direction and $266 the other direction.

We are 6 month away from January 2025. I went to book travel round trip from Lorton to Sanford. The fare from Lorton to Sanford is already sky high. Does anyone know what that would be. I would be traveling be traveling with my husband (2 seniors) and 2 young granddaughters. The fare is $785 one direction and $266 the other direction.
It's not clear what you are asking.

Supply and Demand, plus the Time of Year are the reasons!

In Jan, people want to go South , not North, so the Florida Trains are always Full with High Bucket Fares!

What dates did you choose? How long will you be in FL? Did the fares you posted include your car in each direction?

I randomly choose 1/13 to 1/20 and the RT coach fare for 2 seniors and 2 kids was $1285 (that includes the $510 car transport cost).

Actually, not a bad price. RT coach rail fare amounts to $775 for 8 seats, or $96 per seat. Car transport of $510.

What dates did you choose? How long will you be in FL? Did the fares you posted include your car in each direction?

I randomly choose 1/13 to 1/20 and the RT coach fare for 2 seniors and 2 kids was $1285 (that includes the $510 car transport cost).

Actually, not a bad price. RT coach rail fare amounts to $775 for 8 seats, or $96 per seat. Car transport of $510.
Book it now that is the lowest base price.
However every black friday in November they have a sale usually $39.00 per person. The automobile price never changes only increases as time goes on.
Call Amtrak when the sale is on and they will adjust the price and give you a e-credit which can be used for future travel.
I do this every year and have never had an issue.
If you wait till the sale to book the seats might not be available

We are looking to travel South on Saturday, January 11th ($784) and North on Saturday, January 18 ($266) Auto ($510) Total $1560. Living in the DC area, everybody I know that is a snowbird travels before the end of the year so I was not expecting this price in January. Because one of the kids is 8 and in school, I can't adjust the dates and leave any earlier. We are taking the girls on a cruise.

We are looking to travel South on Saturday, January 11th ($784) and North on Saturday, January 18 ($266) Auto ($510) Total $1560. Living in the DC area, everybody I know that is a snowbird travels before the end of the year so I was not expecting this price in January. Because one of the kids is 8 and in school, I can't adjust the dates and leave any earlier. We are taking the girls on a cruise.
I just checked those dates, and if I correctly chose ages of your grands (13 to 15) the RT cost was $1935 ( $1425 and $520). [I checked flights from DCA to MIA ( not sure what port you sail from) and for 4 people the price was almost $1700.]

Not to be nosey, but when does your ship set sail, and when does it get back to port?

I only ask since you never know if the AT will be leaving or arriving on time. I’m sure you factored in travel time from/to SFA to/from your departure port. If this is a 7 day cruise, you may be cutting things close.

Most folks give themselves an extra day in case of Amtrak hiccups.

In any event, I hope things work out, and you enjoy your vacation with the grands.

I can't adjust the dates and leave any earlier. We are taking the girls on a cruise.
Sounds like a fun trip but if you’re on a cruise, do you really need your car? A regular Amtrak train (Silver Star or Meteor) RT from Washington to Orlando would cost about $944 for four on those dates.

An Uber estimate from Orlando to Port Canaveral is $84. Less if you were sailing from port Everglades or Miami. And if you spend the night at a Disney hotel in Orlando I think they provide transportation to their ship.

Good advice to arrive a day before your cruise. Of course not as important on the return. We took one A-T trip and arrived 10 hours late. And if the train gets too late to make its same day turnaround, they may cancel. While that’s rare, you never know.

I just checked those dates, and if I correctly chose ages of your grands (13 to 15) the RT cost was $1935 ( $1425 and $520). [I checked flights from DCA to MIA ( not sure what port you sail from) and for 4 people the price was almost $1700.]

Not to be nosey, but when does your ship set sail, and when does it get back to port?

I only ask since you never know if the AT will be leaving or arriving on time. I’m sure you factored in travel time from/to SFA to/from your departure port. If this is a 7 day cruise, you may be cutting things close.

Most folks give themselves an extra day in case of Amtrak hiccups.

In any event, I hope things work out, and you enjoy your vacation with the grands.
My granddaughters are only 4 and 8. We have factored in arriving a day early. We are seasoned cruisers. Our cruise leaves out of Ft. Lauderdale.

Sounds like a fun trip but if you’re on a cruise, do you really need your car? A regular Amtrak train (Silver Star or Meteor) RT from Washington to Orlando would cost about $944 for four on those dates.

An Uber estimate from Orlando to Port Canaveral is $84. Less if you were sailing from port Everglades or Miami. And if you spend the night at a Disney hotel in Orlando I think they provide transportation to their ship.

Good advice to arrive a day before your cruise. Of course not as important on the return. We took one A-T trip and arrived 10 hours late. And if the train gets too late to make its same day turnaround, they may cancel. While that’s rare, you never know.
Thank you for your response. We are sailing out of Ft. Lauderdale. Unfortunately, staying at Disney and using their transportation is very pricy, $49 per person, per direction and they only have transportation to Port Canaveral. We will need a car because there are other things that we are doing, such as visiting their Great Aunt that lives in Jensen Beach on the way to our cruise. We will get it worked out. I was just surprised by the high price in January. I thought all the snowbirds would have already traveled to Florida before that. Oh well, live and learn.

I think it would be really cool for the granddaughters to have an experience where they travel in your car then train and then take a cruise. I don’t think it gets any better than that. Oh, wait …. You’ll still have the overnight train ride home ha ha — wow.

Back