Brightline Trains Florida discussion

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Wasn't this discussed earlier? From the article I gather that there was an Environmental Impact Analysis/Statement prepared and not acted upon by the state. If I recall, the gist of discussion here was that because it was not acted upon it became moot, i.e. not acting within a certain time-frame meant that the state had bungled and lost their ability to stop the project.

So now they have travel times between the 3 S. Florida stations as 26 minutes each (Miami-Ft Lauderdale and Ft Lauderdale-West Palm Beach). They estimated 30 before.

Even at a premium price, this will blow driving between the 3 cities out of the water.

Last edited by a moderator:
But the key will be to have good on-going transit options once you arrive at the station. There's always Uber, I suppose.

But the key will be to have good on-going transit options once you arrive at the station. There's always Uber, I suppose.
I have heard that Brightline plans to make it possible to book an Uber or something like that, as part of buying a Brightline ticket. At the Orlando en they might have a standing deal with Mears.

A nice article with a very useful photo showing the five elevated track layout of Miami Central station taking shape, in an aerial photo ...

http://www.miamitodaynews.com/2016/09/27/brightline-passenger-rail-service-65-built/

The three track on the right are for exclusive AAF use and the two track structure on the left is for Tri-Rail. If by chance Amtrak ever makes it to this station it would most likely be on the two tracks on the left.

A nice article with a very useful photo showing the five elevated track layout of Miami Central station taking shape, in an aerial photo ...

http://www.miamitodaynews.com/2016/09/27/brightline-passenger-rail-service-65-built/

The three track on the right are for exclusive AAF use and the two track structure on the left is for Tri-Rail. If by chance Amtrak ever makes it to this station it would most likely be on the two tracks on the left.
Are the platforms long enough to handle Amtrak trains?

Wasn't this the issue at Hialeah?

Are the platforms long enough to handle Amtrak trains?

Wasn't this the issue at Hialeah?
sorry, too much shorthand.

What i meant of course was the issue that prevented Amtrak moving from Hialeah to Miami Airport.

As planned the platforms are long enough to accommodate Tri-Rail trains for the Tri-Rail tracks. There are no plans for Amtrak to ever get anywhere near this station at the present time. Considering that even when there is a plan for Amtrak to get to a station it does not quite make it there, it would seem highly unlikely that Amtrak will ever roll into this station.

However, this station and MIC at Miami Airport are connected by Metro so it should not be as big a deal, provided Amtrak makes it to MIC. Of course there will always be the alternative to change to Tri-Rail at Hollywood or some such and take it to Miami Central too.

As planned the platforms are long enough to accommodate Tri-Rail trains for the Tri-Rail tracks. There are no plans for Amtrak to ever get anywhere near this station at the present time. Considering that even when there is a plan for Amtrak to get to a station it does not quite make it there, it would seem highly unlikely that Amtrak will ever roll into this station.

However, this station and MIC at Miami Airport are connected by Metro so it should not be as big a deal, provided Amtrak makes it to MIC. Of course there will always be the alternative to change to Tri-Rail at Hollywood or some such and take it to Miami Central too.
Granted, but it was a hypothetical question and it would be interesting to see if anybody had run at least the hypothetical scenario.

The phrase "long enough to handle Amtrak trains" is vague. The Pere Marquette is short; the Auto Train is long.

The Silver Star and Silver Meteor are on the very long side, and as demand increases they are only going to get longer. It is not likely that Miami Central (downtown) will ever have platforms long enough for them. The station is elevated and has a track sloping down to ground level on the north end. I don't think the flat section of the elevated station is long enough to handle the Star or Meteor, so it would require an elevated extension to the south.

If Florida suddenly decided to fund some sort of local Amtrak corridor train to Tampa (or Redland), that would fit.

Any chance of SunRail connecting with Brightline at Orlando in the future? Or is that not in the plans for one or the other?
At Orlando Airport. It is in the plans. The station is being built with space allocated for both as we speak.
Is there any more recent news on this?

Will it just be a connecting shuttle, meaning people need to change trains twice. or will it actually run thru to Sunrail destinations beyond Orlando?

Phase III still has no funding but - with a trial Saturday service about to begin (October to January) and the new station and phase II construction progressing nicely - I think we will hear more rumbling to put it on the front burner. When announcing the trial service Mayor Dyer said that Sunrail would have to go to daily service to compliment the airport (and therefore Brightline) service. It really would be the missing piece that would make Sunrail a much more useful public transportation choice.

Here are some photos I've taken during the last week.

September 29, 2016 - West Palm Beach (C-51) Canal Crossing

Nothing too exciting here since my last visit. Work slowly continues on the canal crossing.

September 30, 2016 - West Palm Beach Station

These were taken the day of the topping out ceremony (hence the flag). Work coming along quite nicely. I'll eventually get some pictures of the eastside of the station, which has glass windows installed.

October 3, 2016 - MiamiCentral Station

Wow. Work has really come along since I was last here a few months ago. Very encouraging to see. This station will be YUUGE :giggle:

Here are some photos I've taken during the last week.

September 29, 2016 - West Palm Beach (C-51) Canal Crossing

Nothing too exciting here since my last visit. Work slowly continues on the canal crossing.

September 30, 2016 - West Palm Beach Station

These were taken the day of the topping out ceremony (hence the flag). Work coming along quite nicely. I'll eventually get some pictures of the eastside of the station, which has glass windows installed.

October 3, 2016 - MiamiCentral Station

Wow. Work has really come along since I was last here a few months ago. Very encouraging to see. This station will be YUUGE :giggle:
Nice pictures, the Miami Central Station is impressive!

Prior to joining Brightline, Goddard worked at Trust Hospitality as the chief operating officer in charge of the business portfolio of more than 35 properties around the world and has experience with opening new hotels, many of which have been launched in South Florida. He was president and managing director of Ocean Blue Hospitality, a consultancy firm specializing in hotel openings and sales, marketing and revenue management for independent hotels. Goddard also held management positions with Rosewood Hotels, Loews Hotels, Hilton Hotels, Jurys Hotels and other independent hotels and restaurants in Europe.

I'm curious to know how this background qualifies the man as Vice-President of Operations.

Brightline is a hospitality service primarily. That is going to be its primary focus. This fellow will have a rail operations person who will report to him who will be in charge of making sure the trains run properly, that is the T&E side, which is an enabler but not the primary business in their view. A fundamentally different approach. This is my speculation that is line with the choice of COO.

Prior to joining Brightline, Goddard worked at Trust Hospitality as the chief operating officer in charge of the business portfolio of more than 35 properties around the world and has experience with opening new hotels, many of which have been launched in South Florida. He was president and managing director of Ocean Blue Hospitality, a consultancy firm specializing in hotel openings and sales, marketing and revenue management for independent hotels. Goddard also held management positions with Rosewood Hotels, Loews Hotels, Hilton Hotels, Jurys Hotels and other independent hotels and restaurants in Europe.
I'm curious to know how this background qualifies the man as Vice-President of Operations.
As jis mentioned, AAF (Brightline) is primarily a hospitality/service driven service unlike Amtrak and most other passenger rail services for the past 50 years. VP of Operations isn't just about making sure the AC and toilets work. It's also about the overall customer experience, which in my opinion has not been a priority for passenger rail services here.

AAF has always said they are not just providing basic public transportation to get from point A to B. I think their focus is on providing a premium modern service. It won't be like the Hoosier State train which is old tyme railroading in my opinion. It will be more like what you see in Europe and will bring a much needed boost to passenger rail in the USA.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back