Combining points and cash

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Just received an email...

Introducing Points & Cash!

As an Amtrak Guest Rewards® Mastercard® cardholder, we’re telling you the news first. You can now book Amtrak® travel with Amtrak Guest Rewards points and cash. With more redemption options and fewer points needed, it’s easier than ever to use points for travel.

Points and Cash is available now on Amtrak.com, and will be on the Amtrak app later this month upon the next update. Book your next trip with Points & Cash today.

Of course, this was promised like 10 years ago, so about time.

How do I look at this exactly?
I just checked a trip I'm actually interested in, Charlottesville to Chicago. For a roomette I'm short 5000 points. AGR offers to make up the difference for $294 (plus all of my 14,300 pts). Is that 294/5000 or nearly 6¢/pt? That's more than double the usual charge isn't it?
I can buy 4000 pts +1200 bonus for $151.
I think they actually hate us and wish we'd go away.🧐

Last edited:
I just checked a trip I'm actually interested in, Charlottesville to Chicago. For a roomette I'm short 5000 points. AGR offers to make up the difference for $294 (plus all of my 14,300 pts). Is that 294/5000 or nearly 6¢/pt? That's more than double the usual charge isn't it?
I can buy 4000 pts +1200 bonus for $151.
Reporting over on Flyertalk are it is 0.04 to 0.06 on Points Plus Cash, so your experience is consistent with that.

I think they actually hate us and wish we'd go away.🧐
Pretty much, yeah.

Back