Ideas for future trains between Florida and Midwest

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
This is a start on discussion on the historic Chicago to Florida trains. Much of the timetable specific information comes from a copy I have of the November 1956 Official Railway Guide. This has always been one of my interests so I can go on about this for a while. First a little history:

This had long been a major rail passenger market. Beginning somewhere around 1940, the “Fast Three” were introduced, initially as all coach trains each running every third day. Pullmans were added after only a few years. I do not know the precise dates for these events. These trains were the City of Miami out of Chicago on the Illinois Central, the South Wind out of Chicago on the Pennsylvania, and the Dixieland out of Chicago on the Chicago and Eastern Illinois. Also, sometime later, in the early 50’s(?) the City of Miami and South Wind began operating on alternating days first only in wintertime and then year round after the Dixieland was discontinued, which was sometime between 1957 and 1960. These were all long trains, with the summer time minimum being 4 Pullmans, 4 coaches, a diner and an observation car. In winter cars were added. In the winter, from first hand observation in the 1962-3 and 1963-4 winters the norm for the City of Miami would be 20 cars total, sometimes possibly one or two more. These trains were outstanding examples of multi-railroad company cooperation, as well as competition. The only common players in all routes were the Atlantic Coast Line and Florida East Coast on the south end. While considered quite fast in their day, and in part some they were, these routes were all cross grain to the south end of the Appalachian Chain, so they were not truly fast trains on the order of the New York – Chicago fast trains or the AT&SF western trains.

In November 1956 Official Guide, the City of Miami and Dixieland both left Chicago at 9:00am and arrived at Jacksonville at 9:15am the next morning then Miami at 5:15pm. The South Wind left Chicago at 8:45am, with south end times the same. Northbound, all left Miami at 12:40 noon and Jacksonville at 8:30pm. Arrivals at Chicago were 6:45pm the next evening, except the South Wind’s which was 7:15pm. Remembering time zones, this gave you southbound 23 hours 15 minutes except 23 hours 30 minutes for the South Wind, plus another 8 hours to Miami. Northbound the times were 7 hours 50 minutes Miami departure to Jacksonville departure, plus 23 hours 15 minutes northbound the next evening, except 23 hours 45 minutes for the South Wind.

There were no points common to all three trains north of Jacksonville. Yes, all originated in Chicago, but each from a different station. Even though all three stopped at Waycross GA, the South Wind stop was not at the same location as that of the other two. The South Wind and Dixieland did both use the same station in Nashville. The South Wind and City of Miami both served Birmingham, but not at the same station.

Discussions on routes and average speeds on their various components to follow.

Last edited:
Second Installment on the "Fast Three"

First a couple of comments: Although the Dixieland had the shortest route and matched the City of Miami in time, it appeared to have the lowest passenger counts and was the first to die. The City of Miami lasted until Amtrak, and also appeared to have the largest passenger counts. The South Wind, "sort of" lasted until Amtrak, and was the route chosen by Amtrak. I say "sort of" because Penn Central discontinued through equipment so that for the last year or so pre-Amtrak a change of trains was required at Louisville, and the L&N portion was combined with the Pan American between there and Montgomery AL. Track conditions on both the ICRR and the L&N were circling the drain during that period of time, so both ride quality and reliability were absent in their last pre-Amtrak years. I suspect the South Wind route was chosen because it served more and larger urban areas than the City of Miami. Birmingham AL was the only significant intermediate urban area on the CofM route. The City of Miami route cannot be reinstated as there are segments that have been abandoned and others that have been downgraded to essentially branch line status.

Back to our regular programming:

City of Miami, Chicago Central Station, via Illinois Central, Central of Georgia, and Atlantic Coast Line,
Now CN+NS+CSX and not all there
Milage on each, 688.5+250.8+187.2 = 1,127 miles Chicago to Jacksonville
Southbound: 9:00amCT to 9:15amET = 23h15m = 48.45mph
Northbound: 8:30pmET to 6:45pmCT = 23h15m = 48.45mph

South Wind, Chicago Union Station, via Pennsylvania, Louisville and Nashville, and Atlantic Coast Line
Now, who knows who, and CSX, and likely some of the northern portion no longer there
Milage on each, 313.1+490+389.9 = 1,193 miles Chicago to Jacksonville
Southbound: 8:45amCT to 9:15amET = 23h30m = 50.77mph
Northbound: 8:30pmET to 7:15pmCT = 23h45m = 50.23mph

Dixieland, Chicago Dearborn Station, via Chicago and Eastern Illinois, Louisville and Nashville, Nashville, Chattanooga and St. Louis and Atlantic Coast Line, now all CSX
Milage on each, 287.2+159+285.2+354.7 = 1,086 miles Chicago to Jacksonville
Southbound: 9:00amCT to 9:15amET = 23h15m = 46.71mph
Northbound: 8:30pmET to 6:45pmCT = 23h15m = 46.71mph
This is the only route still in place in its entirety and it is also maintained to something resembling main line standards throughout, however, to achieve this run time today would require mega millions of dollars.

Last edited:
Second Installment on the "Fast Three"

First a couple of comments: Although the Dixieland had the shortest route and matched the City of Miami in time, it appeared to have the lowest passenger counts and was the first to die. The City of Miami lasted until Amtrak, and also appeared to have the largest passenger counts. The South Wind, "sort of" lasted until Amtrak, and was the route chosen by Amtrak. I say "sort of" because Penn Central discontinued through equipment so that for the last year or so pre-Amtrak a change of trains was required at Louisville, and the L&N portion was combined with the Pan American between there and Montgomery AL. Track conditions on both the ICRR and the L&N were circling the drain during that period of time, so both ride quality and reliability were absent in their last pre-Amtrak years. I suspect the South Wind route was chosen because it served more and larger urban areas than the City of Miami. Birmingham AL was the only significant intermediate urban area on the CofM route. The City of Miami route cannot be reinstated as there are segments that have been abandoned and others that have been downgraded to essentially branch line status.

Back to our regular programming:

City of Miami, Chicago Central Station, via Illinois Central, Central of Georgia, and Atlantic Coast Line,
Now CN+NS+CSX and not all there
Milage on each, 688.5+250.8+187.2 = 1,127 miles Chicago to Jacksonville
Southbound: 9:00amCT to 9:15amET = 23h15m = 48.45mph
Northbound: 8:30pmET to 6:45pmCT = 23h15m = 48.45mph

South Wind, Chicago Union Station, via Pennsylvania, Louisville and Nashville, and Atlantic Coast Line
Now, who knows who, and CSX, and likely some of the northern portion no longer there
Milage on each, 313.1+490+389.9 = 1,193 miles Chicago to Jacksonville
Southbound: 8:45amCT to 9:15amET = 23h30m = 50.77mph
Northbound: 8:30pmET to 7:15pmCT = 23h45m = 50.23mph

Dixieland, Chicago Dearborn Station, via Chicago and Eastern Illinois, Louisville and Nashville, Nashville, Chattanooga and St. Louis and Atlantic Coast Line, now all CSX
Milage on each, 287.2+159+285.2+354.7 = 1,086 miles Chicago to Jacksonville
Southbound: 9:00amCT to 9:15amET = 23h15m = 46.71mph
Northbound: 8:30pmET to 6:45pmCT = 23h15m = 46.71mph
This is the only route still in place in its entirety and it is also maintained to something resembling main line standards throughout, however, to achieve this run time today would require mega millions of dollars.
Thank you, is there a map that would show these and what Amtrak did/might do? And is the former Amtrak routing mentioned above so much longer because it hits more major population centers?

Thank you, is there a map that would show these and what Amtrak did/might do? And is the former Amtrak routing mentioned above so much longer because it hits more major population centers?
From Wikipedia.

City of Miami: Chicago - Champagne-Urbana - Cairo - Jackson TN - Corinth - Birmingham - Columbus GA - Waycross - Jax - Miami

South Wind: Chicago - Indianapolis - Nashville - Birmingham - Montgomery - Waycross - Jax - Miami

Dixieland: Chicago - Terre Haute - Nashville - Chattanooga - Atlanta - Waycross - Jax - Miami

In Florida after 1963 the FEC ceased pax rail, so the first two routes moved inland through Orlando, and the third ended entirely.

Amtrak Connect Us in 2021 had no Chicago - Miami Train.

FRA Round 4 LD Study in 2024 had this:

fra-study-chicago-miami_300w460h.png

https://fralongdistancerailstudy.or...SS_REVISED_FINAL_Presentation_Round_4_Web.pdf

Sounds like this is the new rail needed:
223 miles of discontinued long-distance routes restored

The "$3 billion" cost breakdown, all in $millions:
Vehicle costs: $650-840
Station and maintenance facility costs: $1,140-1,490
Track class and PTC upgrade costs: $950-1,240
O&M costs (annual): $78-110

Georgia folks always want Atlanta - Savannah, but the study discarded that as a route for the Chicago - Miami train after discussion. (Also the seaport has top priority for the government in place in Georgia. In addition to building a second port at Savannah, with the help of federal funds undoubtedly, it's building 41 miles of truck-only untolled separated express lanes on I-75 around Macon, northtbound only, at $1.8b. And a business group in Chattanooga wants the same thing on I-75 in northwest Georgia.)

Last edited:
While no expert, I took the "South Wind" many times between Indianapolis and West Palm Beach. As I recall, the
only" slow" stretch was just south of Louisville and I remember cars and trucks passing the train on what was then the "Kentucky Turnpike" now I-65

Back