Michigan North-South Rail Passenger Project

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jis

Permanent Way Inspector
Staff member
Administator
AU Supporting Member
Gathering Team Member
I am wondering how the connection in Ann Arbor from The Ann Arbor RR to the ex NYC line. I have lived there and they do not meet at grade. I kinda of remember a sharp steep curve providing a connection a long time ago, but current maps do not show it. Even if it did exist it would involve backup moves. Looking at the map it seems like the best connection would be a new bridge over the Huron river.

I do have to admit it would be nice to see passenger trains on the old Ann Arbor again.

Last edited:
As a quasi Michigan railfan I've followed this story for awhile. Still surprised that the Detroit to Grand Rapids route isn't a higher priority than North-South. At the top end the stations could best be described as "seasonal".

Any obvious reason that DET-GRR seems to rarely if ever show up in proposals, discussions, etc?

To me it's such an obviously-good candiate. I like the idea of Holland-Grand Rapids-Lansing-Howell-Ann Arbor-Dearborn-Detroit. I know it's a bit of a detour to head south rather than plunge headfirst into Detroit on the CSX through Livonia and Plymouth, but the addition of Ann Arbor and the U of Michigan to the line gives barn-burner levels of potential traffic. Definitely some extra expense making that route run with competitive speeds and it won't be cheap to mate the two lines in Ann Arbor for trains to run down from Howell and head east towards Ypsilanti. But dang, it would be worth it.

But even a more traditional GRR-LAN-DET route seems glaringly absent from the discussion. Any idea why??

Back