New train (40-41 Floridian) between Miami and Chicago via Washington DC

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Amtrak had a train with this name in the 1970's and it was a total dud due to track conditions in Indiana. Can't believe they couldn't come up with something else. Also, I predict this new one won't last long, but who knows.
It wasn’t a dud. It was a great train once it got a reliable route. It only died because of the misguided Carter cuts. This new one is a brilliant and efficient use of equipment freeing up needed superliners for western service. I think it lasts until there is a new Floridian on the FRA Long Distance Study route. There is a big Midwest-Carolina market, and this new service serves that brilliantly.

We're already talking about a nostalgic trip on this train. With a few variations it's very similar to how we used to go to Florida almost every year when our kids were younger. Toronto (International) > Hammond-Whiting > Broadway or Capitol to Philly or Washington (sometimes with through sleeper) > Orlando/Kissimmee via Silver Service (with up to 3 options depending on year and connection). Now the only thing missing is the first leg but flights from Toronto to Chicago are plentiful and fairly inexpensive.

You are not going through ATL anytime soon. Not if CSX and NS have a say
It wasn’t a dud. It was a great train once it got a reliable route. It only died because of the misguided Carter cuts. This new one is a brilliant and efficient use of equipment freeing up needed superliners for western service. I think it lasts until there is a new Floridian on the FRA Long Distance Study route. There is a big Midwest-Carolina market, and this new service serves that brilliantly.
This fourth generation Hoosier remembers the train using he Monon and lurching through Southern Indiana at low speeds at night. Once it to Louisville everything speeded up.

I mean, how does this make any sense? Some glitch? I’ve seen instances where getting off earlier costs more (Newark Airport, for example), but something this egregious?

Attachments

• IMG_3332.png
    IMG_3332.png
    175.5 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_3333.png
    IMG_3333.png
    183.3 KB · Views: 0
But

What if the Floridian through service becomes really successful and popular? Time will tell but maybe the Star comes back as a separate train? We will see I guess.
Not with the equipment available. There will be no additional train until more equipment is acquired.

But

What if the Floridian through service becomes really successful and popular? Time will tell but maybe the Star comes back as a separate train? We will see I guess.
I agree with you, I think this move will be successful. More capacity.

Three trains to Florida? Amtrak tried that when the Star and Meteor had longer consists, with the Palmetto extended to Florida.

Why do people think this move is temporary? The idea is scary, because its a management decision that makes operational sense. The train that needs to be brought back is Broadway Limited. Maybe Amtrak finds a couple of VLs and tack onto the Floridian in Pittsburgh and voila.

Why do people think this move is temporary? The idea is scary, because its a management decision that makes operational sense.
Because the same said Amtrak management emphatically says so. Of course that has never stopped us from dreaming up stuff since we are dreamers and that is what keep our spirits up ;)

I mean, how does this make any sense? Some glitch? I’ve seen instances where getting off earlier costs more (Newark Airport, for example), but something this egregious?
Always figured they were accounting for the chance of someone boarding at the same location. Less distance, maybe means less chance they will get additional revenue?

Back