New train (40-41 Floridian) between Miami and Chicago via Washington DC

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Of course there's plenty of meals available in the diner for coach passengers. $45 for dinner is sticker shock. How many will spring for that ?
It shouldn't be sticker shock when you consider what it costs for a steak dinner plus an alcoholic drink plus dessert at any half decent terrestrial restaurant.

I cannot see this new Floridian attracting many travelers from Chicago to Miami. The original Floridian/ South Wind train was one overnight over two and one half days. The new route would make this two overnights over three days. I don't believe that is a good move. Furthermore, the old route stopped at Nashville, Louisville, Birmingham. Montgomery, Valdosta, Waycross and cities not served by the new route. IMO, a more direct N-S route is needed.

For those who pine for a direct Chicago-Miami routing, similar to the defunct City of Miami or the original Floridian, check out the FRA LD Study on restoring this route. https://fralongdistancerailstudy.org/meeting-materials/
It made the list of 15 "preferred routes", but the early estimates are that it will cost a cool $3 Billion to get it up and running. I think Chicago/DC/FL will have to do, at least in my lifetime. ;)
View attachment 37874
They are also supposed to restore daily Cardinal. Been hearing rumors for I don't know how long about route that would come through Louisville. At this point it seems like we're just throwing money at research with no physical results to achieve these.

I cannot see this new Floridian attracting many travelers from Chicago to Miami.

Chicago to Florida is also very cheap in terms of airfare prices.

That said, it still can serve the original routes quite well (except for a connection now to get north of DC).

They've been known to top off the Starlight's cafe at EMY or OKJ (forgot which) from the Oakland Coach Yard's commisary. Don't think it is standard practice, but it has happened, particularly southbound. Not other places, no other western LD has a commisary other than at the terminals. Superliner cafes have more storage than Amfleet cafes, though. My guess is they'll at least top off the cafe at WAS.
It’s a very common practice on the starlight. They have dropped off supplies for the cafe (and sometimes the dining car) at Oakland on every trip I have rode in recent years. I usually ride northbound, but have take a few southbound as well

I cannot see this new Floridian attracting many travelers from Chicago to Miami. The original Floridian/ South Wind train was one overnight over two and one half days. The new route would make this two overnights over three days. I don't believe that is a good move. Furthermore, the old route stopped at Nashville, Louisville, Birmingham. Montgomery, Valdosta, Waycross and cities not served by the new route. IMO, a more direct N-S route is needed.
Why are you assuming that the only market being served is the endpoints? A train, unlike an airline flight, serves many markets. This train will not be just serving Chicago to Miami traffic. It will also serve Pittsburgh to Raleigh and Cumberland to Jacksonville, just to name two other markets served.

Could Amtrak have left the CL unchanged and made the Silver Star a Washington to Florida train? Of course but presumably they saw marketing advantages to combining them during the period that the Silver Star can't go to New York.

Back