San Joaquins discussion

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
6 vending machines in 2 cars for a 6 hour run, that will become 4 max with the shortening to Merced and the extension to Chico
I know of that "six vending machines in two cars" plan, but On-track-on-line still indicates one vending car per train with some combination of coach seats and/or table seats. I wonder if that's why those cars at Siemens have no interiors yet; incredibly, that still hasn't been sorted out.

I know of that "six vending machines in two cars" plan, but On-track-on-line still indicates one vending car per train with some combination of coach seats and/or table seats. I wonder if that's why those cars at Siemens have no interiors yet; incredibly, that still hasn't been sorted out.
I wouldn't trust On-track-on-line over the documents from SJJPA and the state

It'll be interesting to see how the car number plan changes if the two vending car per-train plan is used. The October 1st On-track-on-line update does say that 19 San Joaquin coaches have now been accepted, regular coaches and about four end coaches, I believe.

I'm wondering about wheelchair access. Can a wheelchair transition between the cars, or do we have to board the vending machine car and stay there if we want to eat? Does the car have a restroom? I'm interested in hearing anyone's experience once the new cars are in use.

For those of us old enough to remember, Southern Pacific's "Automatic Buffet Cars" didn't die, they just went to sleep for over fifty years. This is a terrible idea. Put the manned "Snack Bars" on the new trains and give the passengers a break.
According to this hand-out, the SP cars were wonderful. I think this was from my once in a lifetime on the San Joaquin Daylight in the summer of '68.
automat1.jpg

automat2.jpg

I'm wondering about wheelchair access. Can a wheelchair transition between the cars, or do we have to board the vending machine car and stay there if we want to eat? Does the car have a restroom? I'm interested in hearing anyone's experience once the new cars are in use.
Wheelchairs can go between cars I believe. That's one of the benefits of Venture cars. Every car should have restrooms.

And again, San Joaquins has said it intends to get cafes at some point.

Back