Three Adults into a Bedroom for a Daytime Trip

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

swc34

Train Attendant
Hello,

I believe I have previously saw persons booking three adults into a bedroom for a daytime trip but when I called the agent insisted only two adults are allowed in a bedroom, period. Has this changed? Has anyone had luck doing this?

Does the third person qualify for diner meals?
The 2 times I booked an "Open Sleeper" ticket as the 3rd Person in a Bedroom( paying the Rail Fare)I was allowed to eat Meals in the Diner.

This was between Austin and Dallas so included Breakfast and Lunch, and San Antonio and Longview,so also included Dinner.

Just for fun I checked a trip from Jax to Mia for 3 adults using Amtrak website ...

The Silver Meteor was offered with departure at 9:49 AM and arriving in Miami at 7 PM for $1845
1726778983823.png

Of course, I did not actually book it

Last edited:
Just for fun I checked a trip from Jax to Mia for 3 adults using Amtrak website ...

The Silver Meteor was offered with departure at 9:49 AM and arriving in Miami at 7 PM for $1845
View attachment 37834

Of course, I did not actually book it
I just ran it. That's for three people in two Bedrooms, not three people in one Bedroom.
Screenshot_20240919_141907_Chrome.jpg

You can only book the "recommended" capacity, two persons per room, on the website. To book maximum capacity, three persons, you must speak to a (competent) agent. I understand that this is because they want an agent to explain the conditions with three in a room.

BTW, on the date I chose, 9/26, three in a Bedroom would be $1010, $695 accommodation charge plus three $115 sleeper rail fares. Adding another bedroom causes a bucket jump to a $750 accommodation charge. So $750 x 2 = $1500 in accommodation charges plus $115 x 3 = $345 in rail fare for the $1845 total.

Back