URGENT: Coast Starlight Ticket Availability?

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I plan to embark on a trip from Oakland to Santa Barbara this Thursday.

This is a secret trip, so I can't use a card to pay for it online.

How likely is it that the train will be full? Will I be able to purchase tickets in cash the morning of at the station?

Your thoughts and opinions appreciated.

I;m not sure if you can do this this close to departure, but you can call Amtrak and talk to a human agent and book the trip and have them hold the tickets for you, or pay by credit card over the phone. If you can pick up your tickets at the station then all is well.

I'm pretty sure you can reserve them and pick them up at the station, not sure about payment.

Getting a coach seat shouldn't be too hard this at time of the year last minute. I wouldn't try this during a holiday period or over the summer though. And while you probably don't need a sleeper for such a short journey, I wouldn't try this trick if you did want a sleeper.

That said, ALC is correct. You should be able to call up Amtrak today and make a reservation for Thursday and have it held without paying until Thursday. Then just make sure you show up with enough time to get through the ticket line, give the agent the reservation number, and pay for your ticket.

How likely is it that the train will be full? Will I be able to purchase tickets in cash the morning of at the station?

I was just playing w/ amtrak res online, there are coach seats avail for Thurs as well as roomettes ($95), family bedroom ($165) & bedroom($201). I assumed it may be 2 coach, had no trouble putting in the system. I would call & have them hold the seats/room for you.

Getting a coach seat shouldn't be too hard this at time of the year last minute. I wouldn't try this during a holiday period or over the summer though. And while you probably don't need a sleeper for such a short journey, I wouldn't try this trick if you did want a sleeper.
That said, ALC is correct. You should be able to call up Amtrak today and make a reservation for Thursday and have it held without paying until Thursday. Then just make sure you show up with enough time to get through the ticket line, give the agent the reservation number, and pay for your ticket.
Woo hoo! I was right about something Amtrak that I have never done before!

That being said, call 1-800-USA-RAIL and talk to a real agent. Tell them you wanna book a trip, they'll take you for the process, and at the end when they ask "how will you be paying for this today?" just tell them you'll pay at the station and they'll give you instructions. They will also send you a confirmation email if you desire.

Ask an agent by phone how long they will hold a reservation before the reservation has to be ticketed. Since you are now one day out they might hold it until tomorrow (day of travel).

Ask an agent by phone how long they will hold a reservation before the reservation has to be ticketed. Since you are now one day out they might hold it until tomorrow (day of travel).
They can hold the rez for up to 7 days until you need to pay them. So if he has his rez held today it will be held until Thursday where he can walk up to a ticket agent say I have reservation XXXXXX and then pay in Cash if he can produce valid Photo ID.

Guys, please stop giving this person any information. I have a feeling he could be a SPY! Why else would this be a "secret trip." I bet he is planning on taking pictures of trains, which as we all know, is a matter of national security and cannot be tolerated!

:lol:

Guys, please stop giving this person any information. I have a feeling he could be a SPY! Why else would this be a "secret trip." I bet he is planning on taking pictures of trains, which as we all know, is a matter of national security and cannot be tolerated!
:lol:
I just hope they knows that on a reserved long distance train they will have to provide a name and a photo ID to match. So he can't remain totally under the radar.

EDIT: decided against what I said at first...

Last edited by a moderator:
Don't worry all, this isn't a matter of national security, just a matter of my parents not seeing the charge in the bank account :eek:

Oh God,
We're not going to bring up "you-know-who" again are we??? :blink:
Hehe I can't resist--

This man may be Amtrak Special Agent Voldemort!

:huh: :huh: :blink: :blink: Harry Potter? Really?? :eek: :eek:
Indeed. I don't like talking about you-know-who, but fear of a name only brings about the fear of the object itself. I will say his name in order to take the power back!

Voldemort! Voldemort! Voldemort!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back