Acela 21 (Avelia Liberty) development, testing and deployment (2Q 2024)

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I was worried I wouldn't get the video roundup down before the next update. The period of silence was almost a month like last time. Talk about just-in-time.

Nothing like good ole reddit providing that top quality news and content.

My guess is Q4 2025.
I would always trust Acela150 to verify or clarify whatever crap is spewed on Reddit.

Is phase 2 FRA testing and approval? So now it's up to Amtrak alone to get these in service, right? Will there be a GO to assign proper maximum speed for the Avelias?

I was worried I wouldn't get the video roundup down before the next update. The period of silence was almost a month like last time. Talk about just-in-time.

I would always trust Acela150 to verify or clarify whatever crap is spewed on Reddit.

Is phase 2 FRA testing and approval? So now it's up to Amtrak alone to get these in service, right? Will there be a GO to assign proper maximum speed for the Avelias?
Yes, maybe the sarcasm in my post wasn’t obvious enough?

Once 3 of 3 is completed does that mean the crews can get qualified on the train sets or is that able to happen beforehand?
So I'm honestly not sure how this will go. I can tell you that a decent percentage of the Philadelphia crew base is qualified on them. Which makes sense as it's the home terminal for testing. I do believe that OBS employees are getting some looks at the new equipment. Mechanical crews are for sure.

I do truly believe that at a point in time the training will pick up and be done quickly but safely. T&E espeically. I'll add that I fully expect these new trainsets to be put in service in a quick and timely manner once the FRA says "go".

Just a repeat of CAF problems.
One of CAF's problem was finding skilled labor with the right kind of skills. I don;t think that was a problem faced by Alstom on this order. Here the major delaying factor was getting the antiquated US rail infrastructure for passenger trains married with off the shelf high speed trains. We were all hoping for a miracle and that did not materialize. It was a challenge to make that marriage come to fruition. Hopefully now that the lessons have been learned from the first project, subsequent ones will go easier consuming less time and effort.

Or Alstom's software development team, which is the apparent culprit behind their failure to build a representative computer model.

The NEC may be complicated, but that certainly doesn't stop other Bombardier, Siemens, and Alstom products from using it daily, or being built in compliance.

Back