Brightline Trains Florida discussion 2024

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I should add that as soon as we get the Cocoa station, especially with a good spacious parking lot as planned, I will be using Brightline all the time to get to both Orlando and South Florida. Unfortunately I don;t think I will still be within the "last mile" service area of that station. It is just that at this time I do not have an access point that is usable at present.

Trains as the most efficient in corridors with large travel demand. Orlando - Miami is certainly such a corridor, one of the topmost in the US outside of the NEC. It also stands to reason that initially the service would be most convenient between the population anchor points of the corridor. Brightline has tried to broaden the anchor points with their last mile service offerings, and they are adding filler stations and adding capacity incrementally. So on the whole they are on the right track. Incidentally, their infrastructure will also be used by regional suburban services. Sometimes they will pay Brightline for the use of facilities (Miami Northeast Corridor) and sometimes Brightline will pay the Suburban service agency (Orlando Sunshine Corridor).

On the matter of how fares are refunded, the current method is perfectly fine when most of your target riders are repeat users of the system If Brightline really wishes to attract the tourists from outside the area they could just create a cash (via original instrument of payment) refundable fare which may be slightly higher than the voucher refundable fare. It is likely that such a thing becomes more important when core repeat customer demand is met and non-repeat customers start abandoning the service for other means. It would be worth seeing what effect Brightline has on Orlando - Miami flights. So far there has been little effect, so it is possible that occasional travelers are still driving or flying.

It is not like this is peculiar property of Brightline. When I lived in Short Hills NJ with hourly NJT service to Newark and New York I almost always took the train to New York or Newark or Newark Airport (train + bus usually), or even to Philly and points on the NEC. But when I needed to travel to Lancaster PA, it was generally more convenient to drive, specially if there was a whiff of some luggage associated with the trip. Actually almost anything wet of the Blue Route on the Main Line in Philly was more convenient to drive to. And here we are talking NEC and Keystone Corridor, and NJT at one end. So in general trains will tend to be more convenient if you live close to a station that is served well. Otherwise it becomes a case by case determination based on local conditions.

If I am going to Orlando, I could take Amtrak, and ride in much more comfortable equipment, and better food, although slower.
I've ridden both and wouldn't say an Amfleet is that much more comfortable than the Brightline equipment.
I can't think of a reason I would choose Amtrak over Brightline on that segment - other than the window wraps which they are fixing.

The Bahamas Wrap is going bye bye. So one less obscured windows wraps.

This leaves three to go - Orlando Health, Visit Orlando and Visit Kissimmee.

Two of those will go this year, and one early next year.

Last edited:
Brightline to me solves the Miami-Brevard transportation issue really well, because I can get enough work done on the train to pay for the round trip and rental car, even when the extra 2h between MCO and Satellite Beach is factored in. Trading I-95 in Miami-Dade for refreshments and restrooms I don't have to stop the car for is a nice bonus too.

I'm super looking forwards to the Cocoa station, really wish a downtown Melbourne station was in the cards, but I'm already appreciating how my trips up north seem to be monthly again.

Hopefully, some day they add a stop at Melbourne, with a shuttle over to the Melbourne airport. Although, I am not sure if that would help or hurt Melbourne airport to attract more passengers and flights to serve the Orlando area…🤔

Brightline has tried to broaden the anchor points with their last mile service offerings, and they are adding filler stations and adding capacity incrementally.
Nearly all of the last-mile services have been cut. Uber can no longer be booked thru Brightline. The only perq is a $10 credit for Premium passengers.

The only shuttles still mentioned on the website are to FLL and MIA airports, and they charge $10 + $5 for each additional passenger. And no guarantee -- they explicitly state first come, first serve.

There's a link on the website to booking pages for Mears hotel shuttles or black cars from MCO, and that's it.

All the nifty electric shuttles and free limo rides appear to have gone bye-bye.

Free parking at the stations is long gone. Surface lot parking at MCO is $20/day, but they recommend arriving 90 minutes early and parking off-site "due to high parking demand." Parking at other stations is $10/day.

Hopefully, some day they add a stop at Melbourne, with a shuttle over to the Melbourne airport. Although, I am not sure if that would help or hurt Melbourne airport to attract more passengers and flights to serve the Orlando area…🤔
Selfishly, I would love to see a station in Melbourne, too. I think it would compliment a stop in Cocoa. I understand that BL doesn't want a stop every 30 miles, though - unless they can support a Super-Express/Local service.

I've brought this up before - TUI, a major German-based tourism conglomerate, brings two 787s from various cities in the UK just about every day from March through October into Melbourne. Being a package-based tour company, most of the passengers are brought in and bussed to their included hotel or cruise.

A BL station in Melbourne really wouldn't help connect the airport to the Canaveral cruise ports. Just too much time would be required to transfer from MLB to BL then from Cocoa to the Ports.

But the number of tourists that TUI brings, it could conceivably open the door for more tourists to stay in the Melbourne area as a home base, utilizing BL to Orlando and Miami. I would LOVE to see tourism blossom here. I'm already bummed that almost no TUI passengers get to actually experience the beaches and downtown of Melbourne.

How unfortunate. I used this last fall on my Miami visit. Very convenient service.
I found it easier to just book me an Uber when I needed it instead of being tied into the scheduling regimen of Brightline's last mile service in Miami. I guess I can see why they might have discontinued the Uber booking thing. This was when I did a round trip ORL - MIA by Brightline and MIA to ORL by Amtrak 92 in Roomette. The transfer from Miami Central to Miami Amtrak was done using Uber at my convenience. One does get a Lunch and a Dinner in the Diner on that run!

How unfortunate. I used this last fall on my Miami visit. Very convenient service.
When they had Lyft and shuttle service I found it to have a way worse user experience than just using the Lyft, Uber, or Alto apps. The Uber vouchers aren't ideal, especially since you have to contact support if you reschedule your trip.

Purely speculation, it seems like all the last-mile options anymore are something that can be done on the cheap with an API (Uber vouchers), something that doesn't really cost anything (Avis promo code), something they think of as vital (FLL & MIA airport shuttles), or something they're committed to for a decade or more (already-built parking garages).

At the same time, my #1 transportation provider by spend (AA) doesn't really do last-mile on the same level as Brightline.

Any update on how ridership has been at Brightline? Been a bit since I’ve seen a post breaking down the figures from the most recent month. Would hopefully see a ridership pop once these new coaches start arriving as well

I found it easier to just book me an Uber when I needed it instead of being tied into the scheduling regimen of Brightline's last mile service in Miami. I guess I can see why they might have discontinued the Uber booking thing. This was when I did a round trip ORL - MIA by Brightline and MIA to ORL by Amtrak 92 in Roomette. The transfer from Miami Central to Miami Amtrak was done using Uber at my convenience. One does get a Lunch and a Dinner in the Diner on that run!
I've been wanting to do this - Meteor is a little cheaper, but on the Southbound, is lunch still served at 1:19 PM (provided it's on time)? Then, on the NB, is breakfast served with the 8:10 departure on the Meteor?

Certainly get more time on the train for only about $50 more on the Star. That and two "sure" meals are good reasons to take that train over the Meteor... Probably also easier to get that connection going the opposite way on Brightline.

I've been wanting to do this - Meteor is a little cheaper, but on the Southbound, is lunch still served at 1:19 PM (provided it's on time)? Then, on the NB, is breakfast served with the 8:10 departure on the Meteor?

Certainly get more time on the train for only about $50 more on the Star. That and two "sure" meals are good reasons to take that train over the Meteor... Probably also easier to get that connection going the opposite way on Brightline.
The other thing about taking the Star Northbound is that traveling Southbound early in the morning on Brightline from Orlando considerably increases the chance of finding parking in the Parking Structure C, well before the crowds descend to fill up the lot. One pretty much has to take the first or second run Southbound to make it to the Star with any certainty.

It's not a blackout wrap, but it is annoying to look through, and it stacks with the little character line that non-wrapped trains have.
View attachment 37354
This us awful. If I see this on my train tomorrow morning I may switch to the next one. I have the premium fare so can switch easily. How likely would it be the next train isn't wrapped.

This us awful. If I see this on my train tomorrow morning I may switch to the next one. I have the premium fare so can switch easily. How likely would it be the next train isn't wrapped.
71.4% chance next train has wrap-less windows, worst case odds, assuming 8 sets in rotation and all 3 full wraps are out (Bahamas is indeed gone).

Last edited:
71.4% chance next train has wrap-less windows, worst case odds, assuming 8 sets in rotation and all 3 full wraps are out (Bahamas is indeed gone).
Thank you. I have all day to do this. So might as well avoid the wraps. I came from Chicago to ride these trains to Orlando. I really appreciate your help.

Just had a major go around with Brightline. I had purchased premium fares to afford flexibility if a train showed up in a wrap. Of course my first train showed up with a wrap. I tried to change to next train to hopefully get one with no wrap. The app wouldn't do it. Understandable. I went down to guest services and one agent looked at my phone told me all the trains were sold out. I rushed back up and missed the train.

I did a fresh booking and every train had availability. I went back downstairs and got in line. I was second in line. Another agent came out. She said she would help me. I thought she was going to a certain window. I went there and the agent waiting on the other guests started yelling at me for getting out of line and cutting. I explained why and that I didn't have a problem waiting. She kept scolding so I told her don't talk to me like that. She called security.

I explained what had happened and security just walked away. The second agent was very helpful. I thanked her profusely.

I asked to speak to the manager and he came out. He was very understanding. I told him I had come from Chicago to ride Brightline and that I was trying to avoid a train with a wrap. He apologized profusely about the mishap with the first two agents. He said if there had been escalation for any reason they were to call him. They didn't follow their training.

He called the service manager on the incoming train to verify no wrap. There isn't so I'll be okay. I have the same train coming back.

Key take away. The ability to change trains is not available the last 20 minutes before departure. The train boards less than 20 minutes before departure. You cannot change to a later train in the app if you skip the planned train. Guest services has been the ability to help. If you have issues ask to speak to a manager. Jesus was the manager who helped me today.

Last edited:
Key take away. The ability to change trains is not available the last 20 minutes before departure. The train boards less than 20 minutes before departure. You cannot change to a later train in the app if you skip the planned train. Guest services has been the ability to help. If you have issues ask to speak to a manager. Jesus was the manager who helped me today.
"Get me Jesus on the li-i-ine!" (insert musical notation here)

All this discussion of wrapped trains leaves me puzzled. Who needs to be able to see out the window? Isaac Asimov predicted (in his novel "The Naked Sun") that in the far future, Earthmen will live underground and be totally afraid of seeing the outside. In fact the lead character of the novel is summoned from New York to a meeting in Washington and flies down is a plane with no windows at all, and the thought of looking out the windows would have freaked him out. (It says something about 1957, the year the book came out, that the author didn't consider the possibility that the New York-Washington trip might have taken place using an underground Acela-type train. I'm not sure how Asimov dealt with the need to have agoraphobic Earthling pilots look out the plane to fly it.)

All this discussion of wrapped trains leaves me puzzled. Who needs to be able to see out the window? Isaac Asimov predicted (in his novel "The Naked Sun") that in the far future, Earthmen will live underground and be totally afraid of seeing the outside. In fact the lead character of the novel is summoned from New York to a meeting in Washington and flies down is a plane with no windows at all, and the thought of looking out the windows would have freaked him out. (It says something about 1957, the year the book came out, that the author didn't consider the possibility that the New York-Washington trip might have taken place using an underground Acela-type train. I'm not sure how Asimov dealt with the need to have agoraphobic Earthling pilots look out the plane to fly it.)
Don’t give the ultra low cost carriers any ideas…”you want a window seat with a window? That will cost you extra…”😁🤣

Why are you even on this forum?. It's for rail fans who enjoy looking out the window.

Why are you even on this forum?. It's for rail fans who enjoy looking out the window.
Hey, I actually enjoy looking out the window. I'm just pointing out that many (most?) of the people who ride the trains probably don't care one way or the other. If I have to rely on a train to get me somewhere, and there's no window seat, I just suck it up and sit on the aisle. Also, it's not like the scenery in Florida (especially along the I-95 corridor between Cocoa and Miami) is spectacular or anything.

Reminds me of my flights in the Military ( Dependent and Active Duty Navy) on Transport planes, and my 2 years on a Destroyer!( No windows in the Radio Shack and below Decks in the Berthing Compartmemts!)

Hey, I actually enjoy looking out the window. I'm just pointing out that many (most?) of the people who ride the trains probably don't care one way or the other. If I have to rely on a train to get me somewhere, and there's no window seat, I just suck it up and sit on the aisle. Also, it's not like the scenery in Florida (especially along the I-95 corridor between Cocoa and Miami) is spectacular or anything.
What's the point of riding a train to experience going 125mph if you can't see out the window to experience going 125mph?

Just had a major go around with Brightline. I had purchased premium fares to afford flexibility if a train showed up in a wrap. Of course my first train showed up with a wrap. I tried to change to next train to hopefully get one with no wrap. The app wouldn't do it. Understandable. I went down to guest services and one agent looked at my phone told me all the trains were sold out. I rushed back up and missed the train.

I did a fresh booking and every train had availability. I went back downstairs and got in line. I was second in line. Another agent came out. She said she would help me. I thought she was going to a certain window. I went there and the agent waiting on the other guests started yelling at me for getting out of line and cutting. I explained why and that I didn't have a problem waiting. She kept scolding so I told her don't talk to me like that. She called security.

I explained what had happened and security just walked away. The second agent was very helpful. I thanked her profusely.

I asked to speak to the manager and he came out. He was very understanding. I told him I had come from Chicago to ride Brightline and that I was trying to avoid a train with a wrap. He apologized profusely about the mishap with the first two agents. He said if there had been escalation for any reason they were to call him. They didn't follow their training.

He called the service manager on the incoming train to verify no wrap. There isn't so I'll be okay. I have the same train coming back.

I kind of expected something like that would happen, but I didn't want to sound negative in advance. Just because you can make changes without a fee doesn't necessarily mean you can make changes right up to the time of boarding.

Back