FINE DINING ON AMTRAK

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
LAX - Mumbai - LAX via Sydney is $AU11000, since you asked. Why, I'll never know.
Just so as not to scare the OP of the question (PetalumaLoco), LAX-BOM (Mumbai, aka Bombay) can be had for $1265 for a random pair of dates in October. Perhaps Konrad was explicitly specifying a stop in SYD, which would jack the fare up (that much, though!?).

But I suspect the question is irrelevant, since I think PetalumaLoco was confused about the train's route.

BTW, LAX-SYD can be had for $773 for the same random dates in October.
For me to take that route I'd have to pass through Sydney. I suspect that there is some confusion between the Nullarbor and the Deccan for the original question to arise.

Just what has the airfare to India to do with transcontinental train journeys in the first world?

And this is getting way off the original topic 'FINE DINING ON AMTRAK'.

And the point is it doesn't exist, which is a great disappointment to me.

But then 'TIME KEEPING ON AMTRAK' might send me ballistic!!!

However one might find that if the meals weren't incorporated into the sleeper fares the dining cars might disappear completely as they'd never get paying passengers to use them. After all, I've never seen an influx of passengers from the back of the train waiting to use the diner. And,that said, without diners you'd kill your international (and premium) income stream as foreign passengers just can't pre-prepare meals for three day journey (hotel rooms are lousy for food preparation and storage).

Bottom line - coach passengers restricted to the SSL cafe and sleeper passengers given a first class menu in the diner (even if they have to pay more for the privilege). And a first class lounge with bar and attendants wouldn't hurt either - that'd make money.

On a topic like dining, surprised I didn't see any DIY suggestions. After some so-so food experiences on the CZ in '07, on my '08 trip I took along a small cooler in coach. Before getting aboard, I'd hunt up a good sandwich shop near the station and have that in the cooler too. From my cooler when a conductor wasn't around I'd unload some merlot into a dark plastic cup and drag out some cheese & crackers too. Also had some dipping veggies with some ranch dip. The train was only half full and I could snack whenever hungry.

I can't recall from the tally at the moment, but have you been on an LD since October? While still not up to Acela standards, things really did make a dramatic change on the LD's with the new menu that came out last October.
Was this dramatic change on all routes? That would be such welcome news. I am going to be taking the Silver Star on Tuesday (3/24) from PHL-Tampa - so would be very interested to know (and I guess I'll find out soon enough).

Last edited by a moderator:
On a topic like dining, surprised I didn't see any DIY suggestions. After some so-so food experiences on the CZ in '07, on my '08 trip I took along a small cooler in coach. Before getting aboard, I'd hunt up a good sandwich shop near the station and have that in the cooler too. From my cooler when a conductor wasn't around I'd unload some merlot into a dark plastic cup and drag out some cheese & crackers too. Also had some dipping veggies with some ranch dip. The train was only half full and I could snack whenever hungry.
you may not be aware but your ALLOWED to bring your own food and drinks onboard the train. and you can even bring booze but ONLY if you have a sleeper.

you may not be aware but your ALLOWED to bring your own food and drinks onboard the train. and you can even bring booze but ONLY if you have a sleeper.
You can bring you own booze in coach - you just can't drink it in coach, theoretically.

You can bring you own booze in coach - you just can't drink it in coach, theoretically.
Yet another use for the bathrooms. :ph34r:
or do what they do in those non-alcoholic bars pick up those small bottles of vodka etc and pour them into your drink before leaving the house.

Yet another use for the bathrooms. :ph34r:
or do what they do in those non-alcoholic bars pick up those small bottles of vodka etc and pour them into your drink before leaving the house.
Yeah but I don't much like drinking Vodka and Coke. I prefer it straight up.

On a side note, I've noticed that I've never been carded in the diner or lounge to drink booze. I am 20, look 21 enough-- but I've always wondered if Amtrak can't do anything as long as I am well behaved because we cross various jurisdictions? I mean, isn't Amtrak its own jurisdiction?

Or do the staff just-- not care.

Yeah but I don't much like drinking Vodka and Coke. I prefer it straight up.
Amtrak is a Pepsi only concern.
He was talking about doing it before getting on board.

I keep Coke in my house. No Pepsi for me!

Actually... not much Coke either... just tap water.
Yeah, I'm a coke guy too.
Anyway, back to my question--

Alcohol to underage people on Amtrak? Attendants not caring? Amtrak its own jurisdiction? Crossing state lines allows for it?

On a side note, I've noticed that I've never been carded in the diner or lounge to drink booze. I am 20, look 21 enough-- but I've always wondered if Amtrak can't do anything as long as I am well behaved because we cross various jurisdictions? I mean, isn't Amtrak its own jurisdiction?
Legal drinking age is 21 everywhere in the United States (with some small exceptions), so I imagine that the staff doesn't care to card intensively, as long as you look old enough and are not obnoxious. They don't need to card you to refuse you service. Remember, bars and liquor stores that carefully check patrons' ages do so 1) to keep good order in their establishments, and 2) to avoid the heavy fines and temporary closures that can result from a police sting. #2 probably won't happen on an Amtrak train (though it used to).

Me, I'm old enough to remember when Amtrak followed state blue laws.

I can't recall from the tally at the moment, but have you been on an LD since October? While still not up to Acela standards, things really did make a dramatic change on the LD's with the new menu that came out last October.
Was this dramatic change on all routes? That would be such welcome news. I am going to be taking the Silver Star on Tuesday (3/24) from PHL-Tampa - so would be very interested to know (and I guess I'll find out soon enough).
All routes, except for the Auto Train.

Legal drinking age is 21 everywhere in the United States (with some small exceptions), so I imagine that the staff doesn't care to card intensively, as long as you look old enough and are not obnoxious. They don't need to card you to refuse you service. Remember, bars and liquor stores that carefully check patrons' ages do so 1) to keep good order in their establishments, and 2) to avoid the heavy fines and temporary closures that can result from a police sting. #2 probably won't happen on an Amtrak train (though it used to).

I have seen the staff ask for ID from people, but I'm not sure that all the staff always do.

And Amtrak gave up on following all the State's various laws, they basically just operate on the are you 21 premise.

I have seen the staff ask for ID from people, but I'm not sure that all the staff always do.
And Amtrak gave up on following all the State's various laws, they basically just operate on the are you 21 premise.
It's the same as it is anywhere else then. Lots of people don't card because-- well, it increased sales and it can be a hassle.

Not that I'm saying minors should be allowed to consume alcohol, but in many cases I find that they just don't care. Typically I've seen that most SA's are able to tell if you're mature enough to handle a tipple, with a 21+ ID or not.

Alan: unless things have changed since October 2007 (and perhaps they have), Amtrak may still follow some unconventional state laws regarding alcohol--"blue laws" at least. On the eastbound Cardinal for Sunday lunch (we were in West Virginia at the time), the dining hall staff told us we had to wait until 1pm to order wine or beer and that no liquor could be served until the Virginia state line, per West Virginia law.

in my limited experience, lsl once, cz twice, the food was OK, service unobjectiable, as many of you have said. what i can add is that the wine is good and an honest value. i remember the cab, perhaps because i had the flat iron steak several times. and sharing it with my fellow diners made me a hero at an affordable price. correct me if i'm wrong (don't bother, i'm not) but fine dining means wine, too.

In September we're going to be taking the Lake Shore Limited from Rochester NY (ROC) to Chicago, then takaing the Empire Builder from Chicago (CHI) to Seattle WA (SEA). After a couple of days in SEA we'll be getting on the Coast Starlight south to Emeryville (EMY). We'll overnight in EMY, then take the California Zephyr back to CHI, and then the LSL back to ROC. We will be riding in a bedroom all the way, so the meals will be included.
From what I've read on this forum, the dining car menu will stay pretty much the same throughout the trip. Not many "local foods," as on the CONO. How exciting is that?

We're already quite familiar with the dining car layout and menu on the LSL. What can we expect to be significantly different on any of the other three trains? Is it all about car layout? What's the big difference with "full service" dining that's said to be used on the Empire Builder, and dining on the California Zephyr? Dining on the Coast Starlight appears to be just a matter of "where" one chooses to eat.
I have been pleased with the quality of the dinner entrees on the EB and CS. Decent selection; well prepared and nice presentation. Breakfast and lunch are more basic. The menu in the Pacific Parlour car on the CS has been interesting, but the particular offerings on days I have traveled did not suit my preferences. On the CS I would start out by looking at the Parlour Car menus. If there are not slections that interest you, gravitate to the Dining Car. I have traveled on the CZ, but do not have relocation of whether the menu varied much from the CS and EB. One thing I have noted on all long distance train dining cars is that they do not have unlimited numbers of each selection. If you take a late reservation you might not get your first choice on the menu. That may or may not matter to you. There will also be wining tastings. They used to be free for sleepers but now they charge $5 cover charge for the wines and cheeses.

fine dining is something you find on the orient express. what i want is the same service as if i went to a decent sit down restaurant. not some service you find at bars.

For the Amtrak California Trains, they do follow California State Law concerning hours of serving: No Booze between 2 AM and 6 AM.

In September we're going to be taking the Lake Shore Limited from Rochester NY (ROC) to Chicago, then takaing the Empire Builder from Chicago (CHI) to Seattle WA (SEA). After a couple of days in SEA we'll be getting on the Coast Starlight south to Emeryville (EMY). We'll overnight in EMY, then take the California Zephyr back to CHI, and then the LSL back to ROC. We will be riding in a bedroom all the way, so the meals will be included.
From what I've read on this forum, the dining car menu will stay pretty much the same throughout the trip. Not many "local foods," as on the CONO. How exciting is that?

We're already quite familiar with the dining car layout and menu on the LSL. What can we expect to be significantly different on any of the other three trains? Is it all about car layout? What's the big difference with "full service" dining that's said to be used on the Empire Builder, and dining on the California Zephyr? Dining on the Coast Starlight appears to be just a matter of "where" one chooses to eat.
I have been pleased with the quality of the dinner entrees on the EB and CS. Decent selection; well prepared and nice presentation. Breakfast and lunch are more basic. The menu in the Pacific Parlour car on the CS has been interesting, but the particular offerings on days I have traveled did not suit my preferences. On the CS I would start out by looking at the Parlour Car menus. If there are not slections that interest you, gravitate to the Dining Car. I have traveled on the CZ, but do not have relocation of whether the menu varied much from the CS and EB. One thing I have noted on all long distance train dining cars is that they do not have unlimited numbers of each selection. If you take a late reservation you might not get your first choice on the menu. That may or may not matter to you. There will also be wining tastings. They used to be free for sleepers but now they charge $5 cover charge for the wines and cheeses.
I'd agree with jmbgeg, with a couple of additions: I *like* breakfast on the train. Oatmeal, bacon, black coffee that tastes like coffee. Also, while there is a standardized menu, you can read about the new specials Amtrak offers here. My wife and I very much liked the crab cakes (though we couldn't taste any lobster in the accompanying sauce, and she's happy with any sandwich on a pretzel roll, but I thought that the Thai red curry coconut chicken lacked much Thai red curry coconut flavor. At least the diner has Tabasco sauce!

In any case, you can always get a steak and a baked potato for dinner, and the half bottles of wine for dinner aren't a bad value.

Alan: unless things have changed since October 2007 (and perhaps they have), Amtrak may still follow some unconventional state laws regarding alcohol--"blue laws" at least. On the eastbound Cardinal for Sunday lunch (we were in West Virginia at the time), the dining hall staff told us we had to wait until 1pm to order wine or beer and that no liquor could be served until the Virginia state line, per West Virginia law.
And yet when I rode the Cardinal several years back I was sipping champagne in the lounge car as we went through New River Gorge, and again even a bit later at lunch.

I almost wonder if someone didn't want to be bothered selling you the wine.

For the Amtrak California Trains, they do follow California State Law concerning hours of serving: No Booze between 2 AM and 6 AM.
Horse of a different color, since those aren't really Amtrak trains. They're California trains paid for by California and operated by Amtrak. California even picks the foods that are sold in the cafe cars, not Amtrak.

And frankly on what is to some extent a commuter service/game/show, that's probably a good idea.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back