New train (40-41 Floridian) between Miami and Chicago via Washington DC

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Especially with proximity to Detroit and Southern Ontario. I'm not familiar with Toledo's station but Cleveland would have to improve their parking to make this work.
Toledo is by far the bigger station between those two.

CLE / TOL - Orlando might be a high demand leg?
I am a 3rd generation Floridian and ime folks from the Cleveland area tend to go to two places in Florida, the snowbirds tend to either go to the Tampa area or the Southeastern Florida counties of Palm Beach and Broward and younger families either go to Orland for theme parks or to visit the Grandparents in the Tampa area of the Southeastern Florida counties I listed.

I have never met folks from Toledo so I cannot speak them.

That’s funny they kept Alexandria as a drop off only stop going north. Someone at Amtrak must have forgot to change that when making this new train.
I logged on to Amtrak and attempted to look for tickets from Alexandria to a place on this route west of WAS, and surely enough, the system did not give me the direct option - instead, the only options it gave me all involved connecting trains.

I'm not entirely sure what the thinking is behind this idea of retaining ALX as a discharge-only stop on the northbound/westbound train, but if local traffic concerns were really an issue, what I would have done instead is prohibit local traffic between ALX and WAS (similar to how local traffic had been prohibited between Poughkeepsie, Croton-Harmon, and Yonkers in the past).

I logged on to Amtrak and attempted to look for tickets from Alexandria to a place on this route west of WAS, and surely enough, the system did not give me the direct option - instead, the only options it gave me all involved connecting trains.

I'm not entirely sure what the thinking is behind this idea of retaining ALX as a discharge-only stop on the northbound/westbound train, but if local traffic concerns were really an issue, what I would have done instead is prohibit local traffic between ALX and WAS (similar to how local traffic had been prohibited between Poughkeepsie, Croton-Harmon, and Yonkers in the past).
My suspicion is there was no thinking involved. Someone just forgot to make the change when they joined the Star and the Cap at the hip to create the Floridian.

A change such as making Alexandria a stop where people can board for Chicago must be changed in the computer in a separate step. If I understand correctly, each possible city pair on a route and possible city pair involving connections must be separately programmed into Amtrak's computer. Thus, it is easy to understand how someone might miss the step involving Alexandria. It is quite possible that the person programming the computer does not have the geographical knowledge to understand the need for this change.

Back