New train (40-41 Floridian) between Miami and Chicago via Washington DC

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Especially with proximity to Detroit and Southern Ontario. I'm not familiar with Toledo's station but Cleveland would have to improve their parking to make this work.
Toledo is by far the bigger station between those two.

CLE / TOL - Orlando might be a high demand leg?
I am a 3rd generation Floridian and ime folks from the Cleveland area tend to go to two places in Florida, the snowbirds tend to either go to the Tampa area or the Southeastern Florida counties of Palm Beach and Broward and younger families either go to Orland for theme parks or to visit the Grandparents in the Tampa area of the Southeastern Florida counties I listed.

I have never met folks from Toledo so I cannot speak them.

That’s funny they kept Alexandria as a drop off only stop going north. Someone at Amtrak must have forgot to change that when making this new train.
I logged on to Amtrak and attempted to look for tickets from Alexandria to a place on this route west of WAS, and surely enough, the system did not give me the direct option - instead, the only options it gave me all involved connecting trains.

I'm not entirely sure what the thinking is behind this idea of retaining ALX as a discharge-only stop on the northbound/westbound train, but if local traffic concerns were really an issue, what I would have done instead is prohibit local traffic between ALX and WAS (similar to how local traffic had been prohibited between Poughkeepsie, Croton-Harmon, and Yonkers in the past).

I logged on to Amtrak and attempted to look for tickets from Alexandria to a place on this route west of WAS, and surely enough, the system did not give me the direct option - instead, the only options it gave me all involved connecting trains.

I'm not entirely sure what the thinking is behind this idea of retaining ALX as a discharge-only stop on the northbound/westbound train, but if local traffic concerns were really an issue, what I would have done instead is prohibit local traffic between ALX and WAS (similar to how local traffic had been prohibited between Poughkeepsie, Croton-Harmon, and Yonkers in the past).
My suspicion is there was no thinking involved. Someone just forgot to make the change when they joined the Star and the Cap at the hip to create the Floridian.

A change such as making Alexandria a stop where people can board for Chicago must be changed in the computer in a separate step. If I understand correctly, each possible city pair on a route and possible city pair involving connections must be separately programmed into Amtrak's computer. Thus, it is easy to understand how someone might miss the step involving Alexandria. It is quite possible that the person programming the computer does not have the geographical knowledge to understand the need for this change.

Hello to all. I have been away and inactive from the forum for several months now. When someone has time, could someone advise and recap the suspected consist of 40/41. I know it is a Viewliner (which is fabulous in my opinion since I loved the CAP when it was single level year ago). A simple reply will be appreciated.

Coach passengers should be able to prepay for meals when buying transportation. Meals non refundable. Left over sleeper meals not used should also be sold to coach passengers probably last serving of each meal.
What about if you purchase (say) dinner and then the train runs too late for you to get dinner?

What about if you purchase (say) dinner and then the train runs too late for you to get dinner?
This is already a consideration for sleeping car passengers when the train runs late. When that happens to them, they get refunds to cover the cost of dinner. I suspect that could work for coach passengers too. (Personally, I would prefer returning to the old system of just having everyone who wants dinner pay for it when they eat, as in a restaurant, but I suspect that's never going to happen.)

May I offer at least a basically positive view of Amtrak's decision to create the FLORIDIAN.
The article below offers a balanced view of the real/primary reason for the pending consolidation of the CAPITOL LIMITED and the SILVER STAR as the renamed FLORIDIAN--eg. the need to reassign the CAPs fleet of Superliner cars to relieve the almost desperate shortage of bi-level equipment on the western trains. The East River Tunnel project sighted by Amtrak as a cause is real too, and is impacting multiple services--with particularly bad impacts on the ADIRONDACK and MAPLE LEAF trains.

But although Amtrak has not acknowledged it, the need to reassign the Superliners is, I firmly believe, the primary cause for the FLORIDIAN decision. And honestly I think it was the right call overall, although flawed by a lack of capacity on the new train north/west of DC to Chicago.

The biggest problem in my view with the FLORIDIAN is not the lengthy route. Passengers will have all the options they had before from/to all stops on both former routes (except New York to DC, which will require a train change)--plus the through service makes the somewhat close connections between the SILVER STAR and the CAP certain, by the thru running of the entire train with no need to change. This is a real advantage that must be acknowledged.

In the better than 30 years I sold Amtrak travel at my specialty rail tour and travel company, Rail Travel Center, the two most requested routes that were no longer offered were Denver to Dallas and even more often, Chicago to Florida. Of course routing this train through Nashville and Atlanta would be ideal, (and that is actually in the list of FRA potential new long haul routes), but it years and billions of dollars away now. Not even station platforms remain at most points north of Jacksonville to at least Indianapolis on that corridor.

Extending the CAP to join the SILVER STAR retains both previous routes while opening up, for those who want it, a new option thru from the Midwest/Great Lakes region to Florida. Shades of the New York Central, Southern Ry, Florida East Coast Line's winter-only "New Royal Palm" in the early 1950s.

Anyone who books this service will fully understand it is--like the CZ or the EMPIRE BUILDER--a two-day trip. No one who takes a long haul train is basically in a hurry. This is a creative and positive decision by Amtrak, except for the reality that the FLORIDIAN has too few cars to serve the demand already extent on both the STAR and the CAP.

This problem is the dramatic reduction in First Class sleeper capacity between DC and Chicago. The two Superliners on the CAP offered 10 Bedrooms and 26 Roomettes daily, plus 2 Family and 2 Handicapped Bedrooms. The two Viewliner sleepers on the FLORDIAN cut the Bedroom offer to 4 rooms, with no Family Bedrooms and still 2 Handicapped Bedrooms. The Roomette capacity on the FLORIDIAN depends on whether a first generation Viewliner I or a more recent Viewliner II car is assigned. They offer slightly different room numbers. First generation cars have 12 Roomettes, while the Viewliner II cars surrender a roomette to allow for a large added public toilet. Because Amtrak's diner, lounge and car attendants must use roomettes to sleep (and no longer are required to share) 5-6 Roomettes will likely be unavailable for sale. It is thus likely that the new train will offer only 16-17 Roomettes. This problem already existed on the SILVER STAR, but the DC--Chicago CAP had much more sleeper space and it was almost always sold out.

There has been much outcry about this capacity loss, and it is well justified, but little discussion of relatively easy fixes that Amtrak can apply to moderate the impact of the FLORIDIAN reducing current capacity--particularly on the DC-Chicago segment of this route. The obvious solution is to add at least one and ideally two more sleepers to the new FLORIDIAN. This can not happen instantly, but should proceed incrementally, as explained below. Experience may also suggest adding another coach as well.

This fall Amtrak is finally turning to the long-needed renovation of the first generation Viewliner I sleepers. Short-term this has caused a reduction of one sleeper per trip on the CRESCENT. In the past the SILVER STAR also carried 3 sleepers, but currently Amtrak has insufficient serviceable Viewliner sleepers to restore that either. But completing the Viewliner I renovations should provide the cars needed.

These renovations will take time, but they will finally be underway in Amtrak's FY25, which began yesterday, October 1.

Amtrak's fleet of Viewliner sleepers originally included 50 Viewliner I cars and 25 of the second generation Viewliner II sleepers--a total of 75 cars. While a few cars are out of service (possibly permanently) due to wrecks), fewer than 40 cars are used routinely every day now. As the Viewliner I renovations progress Amtrak should have more than enough eastern sleepers to restore the lost car on the CRESCENT and add back capacity on the FLORIDIAN.

What all this truly documents is the folly of Amtrak's actions during the pandemic era in parking without proper routine maintenance so much of its fleet and in reducing the work-force at the main shops system-wide. Now the company finds it hard to replace these workers. But that does not mean the decision to reassign the CAP's Superliners to the western routes was a mistake. It was necessary to get trains like the SOUTHEWEST CHIEF and the CZ back to even close to their pre-COVID capacity. Those routes are the National Network's revenue champions.

The FLORIDIAN capacity situation is fixable if Amtrak properly prioritizes the Viewliner renovations. And the leg-rest Amfleet II coaches in use on the regional trains like the ADIRONDACK and MAPLE LEAF will need to return to the overnight fleet as new Siemens' cars arrive for the eastern regional and NEC routes.

One last concern must also be addressed. Amtrak needs to closely monitor the impact of the loss of direct, no change ridership on the Florida routes caused by going to only one train--the SILVER METEOR--offering thru service from points New York to Baltimore to the "Silver Service" cities DC and south. At a minimum the SILVER METEOR will need ASAP more capacity.

Longer-term Amtrak should look to the example of the pre-Amtrak Seaboard Airline/Seaboard Coast Line, with their version of the SILVER STAR. They offered thru coaches and sleepers year-round from New York, but except between December and April (the Florida "Peak season"), only a few cars ran thru to New York north of DC, and they were carried on a regular corridor service train. In the Florida peak there was a fully dedicated SILVER STAR all the way to New York. If the northbound train was too late to make its intended DC connection the thru cars were often run as an "extra", or more generally placed on the next corridor DC/New York service. Amtrak could follow this approach if it really fully utilizes the renovated Viewliner fleet later in 2025.

https://clevelandmagazine.com/in-th...nd-to-orlando-train-overshadows-car-shortages

Back